Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages creative solutions to problems. All new engineers deploy working code their first week, and we strive to broaden individual impact with support from managers, mentors, and teams. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
Ready to take your engineering leadership career to the next level? Our Engineering Effectiveness group designs, builds, and operates large-scale systems that enable Yelp developers to deliver world-class features. We love to accelerate engineering workflows and deliver great developer experiences as we scale complex, highly reliable systems.
As the Engineering Manager of Yelp’s JVM team, you will lead, coach, and grow a talented team of engineers in building infrastructure to enrich and streamline the Java developer experience. Your team will build developer productivity tools and libraries, as well as help establish best practices to service authors to write high quality, performant, and maintainable code in Java, Scala, and Kotlin. These frameworks will enable developers working on many of our critical systems that power Search, Ads, ML, Data Infra, and Android products.
This opportunity requires you to be located in the United Kingdom. We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.What you'll do::
- Help the team stay productive by removing obstacles and optimizing team processes.
- Coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels, from recent graduates to senior engineers.
- Collaborate with your team, stakeholders, and other Engineering leaders to define and influence a product vision and roadmap.
- Play an essential role in the hiring process, from sourcing and interviewing potential candidates to helping close new hires.
- Support your team as they scale infrastructure to meet demand while keeping an eye on reliability.
- Previous experience as a manager with a “people-first” approach; maintaining a healthy team culture is your priority, and you lead through empathy.
- Great communication skills that you also foster within your own team.
- Experience building JVM systems written in Java, Scala, or Kotlin.
- A technical background that can help your team evaluate trade-offs during design and development.
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- 25 days paid holiday (rising to 29 with service), plus one floating holiday.
- £150 monthly reimbursement to help cover remote working expenses.
- £81 caregiver reimbursement to support dependent care for families.
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- £81 per month to use toward qualifying wellness expenses.
- Quarterly team offsites.
Yelp values diversity. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, disability, or any other protected status.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. With unmatched local business information, photos and review content, Yelp provides a one-stop... Read more