We believe the spoken word has the power to change people’s lives. Audible has reinvented a media category, becoming a powerhouse of creative and original content. We create sensational entertainment experiences that absorb the listener and enhance the character and quality of daily life. Because nothing can inspire, provoke and challenge like a gripping story – and this could be the beginning of your Audible story.
Audible is seeking a purpose-driven, articulate and proactive individual for the role of Director, Corporate Communications and Affairs. Reporting to the Vice President of Global Corporate Communications, this position will develop and implement strategic communications to promote Audible’s efforts on behalf of urban transformation and other community affairs initiatives. A key member of the Global Corporate Affairs team, this role requires superior communication and presentation skills (both written and oral); passion and enthusiasm for Audible’s disruptive, high-energy technology-driven culture; and the ability to champion our deep commitment to Newark’s revitalization both internally and externally. As this position is tethered to the office of the CEO, a high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information is critical.
Join the company that invented digital audiobooks, is the largest seller and producer in the fastest–growing format in publishing, and is a leading destination for digital entertainment. This position is based at our galleryesque loft-style HQ in Newark, NJ – 20 minutes from Manhattan.
· Develop disruptive communications strategies to drive reputation through awareness of our purpose-driven programmatic initiatives and community impact
· Create and execute traditional and non-traditional media engagement campaigns to maximize visibility for our community and philanthropic efforts including the development of press materials, press outreach, and preparedness through FAQs and other supporting materials
· Support members of the Global Corporate Affairs team in preparing briefing and research material for senior executive use internally and externally
· Drive editorial storytelling and editorial content development in support of our community and philanthropic efforts
· Spearhead and cross-functionally manage the development and maintenance of a new Audible Corporate site
· Support the development of materials including press releases, media pitches, Q&As;, imagery, and toolkits
· Establish and maintain relationships among community stakeholders to ensure every community-reaching opportunity is maximized and communications successes are amplified
· Establish and maintain relationships across the organization to ensure every community-reaching opportunity is maximized and communications successes are amplified and partner with internal communications team to surface community initiatives to our broad base of employees
· College degree in social sciences or humanities
· 10 or more years of work experience in a communications capacity, focused on the intersection of media, politics, technology and NGOs
· The successful candidate will be able to complete complex tasks and projects quickly with little to no guidance and react with appropriate urgency to situations that require a quick turnaround.
· Understanding of international media landscapes
· Experience in managing disparate stakeholders across dotted lines
· Editorial awareness and storytelling – deep understanding of the editorial and media landscape. Able to ideate and craft the story(ies) and relevant/necessary content to connect our community and philanthropic objectives with target stakeholders among media and influencers
· Written and oral communication—exceptional writing skills, strong line-editing, copyediting and proofreading skills, tailors writing style as appropriate for varying communication channels, presents numerical data effectively; speaks clearly and persuasively; possesses ability to engage others; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; actively participates in meetings
· Influencing and Negotiating - builds positive relationships with internal and external business partners. Capacity to work across teams at the highest levels of the Audible organization and effectively convey new ideas
· Organization and project management acuity – experience managing communications plans in various life-cycle stages. Able to plan and coordinate complex and high-impact projects with varying and shifting priorities, should have superior organizational skills and attention to detail
· Creative agility – innovative thinker and flexibility to change course if necessary, to achieve desired results
· Research skills—ability to synthesize information from multiple sources, present evaluations and summarize key findings precisely and succinctly
· People skills—enjoys working with people, and understands discretion and diplomacy
· Passion for Audible core mission to improve lives through storytelling, the company’s commitment to urban revitalization and its disruptive, technology-driven culture
· An understanding of and passion for the emerging field of urban innovation and related policies and ideas
· Experience in a global / matrixed business environment; both managing international territories and media relationships