Are you passionate about making NYC a better place to visit, live in and move around in? Motivate LLC seeks an energized and experienced Operations Professional to help develop and update the bikeshare operations for Citi Bike. This person will report directly to the Director of Service Delivery and will manage four operations departments. They will be responsible for continuously improving both department’s performance, total system and/or service area growth. Additionally, they will manage strategic and operational projects, focused on continuous improvement and growth.
Motivate is a best-in-class service operations and logistics company, delivering bike share services to some of the largest urban environments in the US. We operate in 8 markets across the U.S. including New York, San Francisco, Chicago and Washington D.C. and will serve over 1.5 million customers this year alone. Led by a group of urban visionaries and seasoned operations experts, our mission is to revolutionize the landscape of our cities. In an effort to completely transform the urban experience, Motivate is leading the way in making cities more accessible, healthier and sustainable. We operate and maintain safe and dependable systems that help make cities great by connecting individuals to the people and places they love.
About the Role
This role will oversee a team of ~250 people comprised of Motorized, Non-Motorized, Dispatch, and Assets Recovery departments. The Service Delivery Department is responsible for ensuring customers can find both available bikes to start their trip, and available docks to end their trips. We continue to expand our redistribution efforts through innovative operations to manage the enormous demand on our system.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: managing operations, special and capital projects, assisting the Director in managing the P&L, logistics, supply-chain and product-related initiatives, executing major operational efforts occurring across the system, recovery from adverse weather events, management of key initiatives, standardization, continuous improvement, reporting to and coordination with Lyft and otherwise ensuring all safety and operational standards are met or exceeded based on departmental key performance indicators (KPIs).
About the Day to Day:
- Work under the management of the Director to ensure Citi Bike meets its business goals.
- Oversee various improvement initiatives related to training, process, equipment, and staffing.
- Work with 18 managers and their respective teams of up to 225 union, hourly staff, to maintain station technology and maintenance, assembly and deployment operations, quality control, KPIs and complete capital projects.
- Initiate and complete data analyses ranging from physical product, field operations, workflow efficiency, vehicle and facility usage, and other relevant topics.
- Maintain external relations, growing positive and productive relationship with Lyft.
- Maintain a close working relationship with all Citi Bike department heads to assist with the implementation of strategic initiatives, as well as future planning and budgeting.
- Assist with internal and external reporting as needed.
- Occasionally travel to other bike share systems and related locations to gather best practices, share our own lessons learned, and to seek out new innovations and technologies.
- Follow safe work practices and maintain a safe working environment.
- Review and implementation of processes to further increase efficiency in obtaining goals and team management strategies.
- Engage in system preservation before and recovery after adverse weather events or other system shutdowns.
- Report out to the CEO on a monthly basis to give updates on operations performance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Project Management, Planning, Business, Operations or related field.
- You are a wiz in Excel, Word, Microsoft Project, Google Applications, and can master new software quickly.
- You have a minimum of 7 years total experience, including at least 3 years of hands-on experience in an operational role.
- You have developed and managed a large operations team (100+)
- You are advanced in project management with a strong record of successful execution and achievements.
- You thrive in a fast paced, high stress, high demand environments. Ability to adapt, think critically and react effectively in dynamic construction and maintenance project environments.
- You have an understanding of basic concepts in engineering, electrical and mechanical equipment, multi-part assembly, quality control, supply chain, finance, and accounting.
- You are very detail oriented and have a knack for large public facing projects
- You can quickly get up to speed on Citi Bike’s software, products, and financials.
- You have the ability to build trust with people across an organizaton
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- You will work out of our office in Industry, Brooklyn and travel to many field locations as needed across three boroughs.
- You have a strong knowledge of New York City area geography and street layout.
- You have the ability to be flexible with work time. Frequently, work hours will exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week, including weekends and off hours. At times, this position will be on-call, 24/7.
- Advanced degree or MBA preferred.
- Previous experience working outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Previous experience working with clients in public sector.
- Previous experience working with and reporting to executives.
- Operations and strategy consulting background.
- Experience with or understanding of heavy machinery, construction equipment, and large vehicles, as well as the occupational safety requirements that go along with the equipment.
- Previous experience in a dynamic, high stress, fast paced work environment.
- Previous bike share industry experience.
- Previous warehousing, supply chain, and inventory control experience.