The Compete and Market Intelligence (C&MI) Lead drives compete strategy and execution as well as market intelligence and insights within Greater China. With a solid understanding of the external market, they drive visibility of and urgency in their Subsidiary/Area to ensure Microsoft is ahead of the market and priority competitors. In addition, the Lead internally drives competitive strategy initiatives and proactive competitive plays to improve Microsoft’s competitive position and muscle. Microsoft faces a unique set of competitors in China, and the C&MI lead is accountable for developing compete strategy, educating corporate and regional stakeholders, and helping to influence products and solutions to better position Microsoft to win across Greater China.
The C&MI Lead is the champion for competing to win share at Microsoft. As Microsoft, the market and the competitive landscape transform, we look to this leader to establish the cross-organizational business practices that allow us to detect competitive trends and market opportunities earlier in their respective lifecycles, and respond to them with greater agility, precision, and insight. From an operations perspective, the C&MI Lead partners with the Area and Subsidiary Leadership Teams, Business Group Leads, and Segment Leadership Teams to proactively define competitive priorities, drive the Area Compete rhythm of the business, growth share through the Share Dashboard and land competitive strategies.
The C&MI Lead also enables decision-makers within the area/subsidiary to make informed decisions, scope and size market opportunities, and identify threats by generating, analyzing and delivering market insights and trends, conducting market research, and making strategic recommendations. The role is a key contributor to subsidiary planning and reviews, growth modeling and opportunity sizing, and long term strategic planning. The role gets a unique end-to-end perspective on the Microsoft business from the addressable markets and performance vs competition perspective, and serves as a trusted advisor for the area/subsidiary leadership teams on these matters
Driving Compete Operating Model Locally
Inspire and deepen the compete culture, Lead the compete operating discipline, Develop local competitive insights, Drive share gaining competitive marketing, Ensure local competitive sales agility
Driving Strategic Compete Projects
Include but not limited to: Seeking out white space opportunities; identifying emerging competitive threats, increasing connections and dialog outside of Microsoft all to increase competitive insights and drive market share growth. Sharing of local demonstrated best practices to be rolled out worldwide. Incubate local projects to roll out worldwide
Collect and organize data on key markets, integrate into ROB
Land global market intelligence data and insights, including, but not limited to the following reports: Global Economic Update (including Economic Heatmap), Executive Market Indicators, IT, Software and Cloud Market Forecast (MPF), Share Dashboard, Share Tracker and Share Planner, Devices Market Forecast, Server Market Forecast. Orchestrate all major market primary and secondary research projects and investments within the subsidiary, including regional and/or global trackers and syndicated research.
An experienced field Sales & Marketing professional, candidates must have a minimum of 10-15 years of practical subsidiary experience in marketing and sales roles and market research.
Skills & Knowledge
- Insights and Analysis: Defines, measures, and optimizes business impact by understanding and applying data-driven intelligence to create change. Understands unarticulated competitive trends and emerging customer/partner needs, and quickly applies these insights to inform decisions and drive strategy.
- Influencing for Impact: Is extremely well connected in Microsoft both at the Area Leadership level and in the front line. Communicates and networks effectively. Successfully persuades and influences others.
- Drive for Results: Tenaciously pursues positive outcomes by using effective approached to solve problems. Takes responsibilities and holds others accountable for actions, decision, and goals.
- Masters Complexity: Consistently demonstrates the ability to make the complex seem simple. Is able to break down complex issues into concepts that translate across multiple stakeholder groups (e.g., customers, partners, leadership, functions, geos etc.)
- Adaptability – Self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity. Decisive, analytical, logical, pragmatic, disciplined implementer of field strategy.