Microsoft envisions a world of more possibility, more innovation, more openness, and sky's-the-limit thinking - a cloud-enabled world. Our mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. This mission is bold and at the core of what our customers and employees care deeply about. We have unique capability in harmonizing the needs of both individuals and organizations. We deeply care about taking our ideals and vision global and making a difference in lives and organizations in all corners of the planet. We are always learning. Insatiably curious. We lean into uncertainty, take risks, and learn quickly from our mistakes. We build on each other’s ideas, because we are better together. We stand in awe of what humans dare to achieve and are motivated every day to empower others to do more and achieve more through our technology and innovation. Together we make a difference.
Microsoft is experiencing a renaissance due to our growth mindset and the modernization of how we engage our customers. Digital transformation is fueled by an intense focus on how we understand and engage our customers. That said, our customers still have over 30 years of legacy Mainframe and AS400 legacy systems that make it difficult to have a full understanding of our customers. This critical role is responsible for driving the modernization from core product group engineering and help our customers migrate these legacy workloads to newer, agile and distributed Microsoft platforms and Azure cloud. You will help customers not just save Capex and Opex but also help introduce new business functionalities to their core legacy systems through these migrations.
Being part of core product engineering, we will collaborate with different products and services group to solve some of the hardest and most interesting technology challenges in the industry, for one of the best technology companies in the world. Making Mainframe/AS400 migrations successful on our platform is critical for the non-linear growth strategy of Microsoft. Through these migrations we expect to drive revenues as well as product truth for different products and services. To solve these challenges, you will work with some of Microsoft’s best engineers, data scientists, customer success teams and partner teams. This is a significant and rare opportunity for an ambitious self-starter who is passionate about technology and driving impact.
This will be a technically hands on Engineering Architect role requiring a strong cross group collaboration experience. Role will be based in the United States (Redmond preferred but any other US location will work). Moderate travel will be required, 30%.
Required skills for this role are as following:
- Must be experienced with Cobol, JCL, PL/I, Assembler (LUW, zOS)
- Must be experienced with online, batch, CICS, IMS along with performance and security aspects of the application runtime end to end.
- Must be experienced with mainframe and IBM ISV tooling often used in traditional online or batch applications.
- Must be experienced with Dev-OPS, operations and monitoring use cases using tools like Sysview/OmegaMon.
- Must be experienced with either of the migration patterns (i.e. rehost/reengineering/replatform) from Mainframe to distributed platform (good to have x86 exposure)
- Good to have emulator experience with Microfocus, LzLabs or compilers like Raincode.
- Good to have development and administration knowledge of DB2, VSAM and IMS
- Good to have intermediate knowledge of Mainframe infra, networking and physical security.
- Good to have .NET and Java experience.
- Good to have intermediate knowledge of public cloud (i.e. Azure, AWS) Infra, Containers, Kubernetes, System Center, PowerShell, Windows and Linux.
- Deep understanding of cloud infrastructure technologies, business drivers, emerging computing trends, and deployment projects (where necessary, leading various customer/partner relationships to get consensus on solutions/projects)
- Help drive product truth for different Microsoft products, services and create technical migration playbooks for different workload migration scenarios.
Preferred skills for this role are as following:
- 12+ years of IT industry experience with computer science engineering and architecture background
- 5+ years of IT services industry experience with legacy modernization and migration factory exposure.
- 3+ years of Program or Project or Product Management with Technical prowess and passion-especially for Microsoft Azure, Microsoft Server and Database products.
- Exposure to Cloud Application, database design practices and principles with solid solution architecture and development skills is critical for this role.
- Presales deep architecture exposure with end to end execution
- Ability to create TCO/ROI model, converse with business, technical and developer audiences
- Understanding and proficiency with architectural design patterns, and the agile method(s).
- Presentation experience, public speaking skills and strong communication abilities
- Values diversity and embraces a growth mindset.
- Master's Degree in computer science or Engineering
- Location: Seattle Area preferred but open for other locations too
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.