Full-time PhD opportunities for students & recent graduates: Software Engineering
Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Our culture is centered on embracing a growth mindset, a theme of inspiring excellence and encouraging teams and leaders to bring their best each day. We believe we should each find meaning in our work and we ensure employees have the freedom and the reach to help make a difference in the world.
We are looking for candidates who have the following qualities:
- Team Player: driving digital transformation with our customers is a team sport. We need teammates who can stay focused on our customers' satisfaction while operating in a highly-collaborative and global organization.
- Growth Mindset: your life is truly about learning-it-all. You approach every new piece of information, knowledge, and competency with curiosity. Ultimately, you're open to the ideas of others, where the success of others does not diminish your own.
- Customer Obsessed: you learn about your customers and their businesses with a beginner's mind and then bring solutions that meet their needs.
- Diverse & Inclusive: You don't just value differences, you seek them out and invite them in.
Applications to these opportunities are considered for all available Software Engineering roles including the ones described below, depending on education level and/or location. To be considered for a college student position, you need to be enrolled full-time as a student majoring in an applicable field.
Software engineers at Microsoft are passionate about building technologies that make the world a better place. At Microsoft, you will collaborate with a team of programming experts to solve problems and build some of the world's most advanced services and devices. Your efforts on the design, development, and testing of next-generation applications will have an impact on millions of people.
Program Managers (PMs) are the in-house advocates for millions of people worldwide who predict and research how software is used and work closely with Software Engineers (SWEs) to ensure our products exceed people's expectations.
Software engineers (SWEs) collaborate with a committed team to design, develop and test the next generation of technology solutions for millions of people.
Program Managers are typically responsible for specific features in our technology solutions for the full product cycle. You work on the initial feature planning and design, manage the specifications and timeline of their development, and monitor their on-going operation to better understand customer experiences. You work collaboratively with team mates to ensure our products exceed customer expectations. You communicate throughout the process to understand progress towards delivery, technical challenges, and to provide clarity on customer needs using a data driven approach. You will be expected to demonstrate an ability to learn and adopt relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes to leverage in your solutions. As a Program Manager, you are dedicated to building software to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.
Software engineers (SWEs) work with teammates to solve problems and build innovative software solutions. You are passionate about customers and product quality, and you provide technical guidance to Program Managers as they consider user needs and product requirements. You will also be expected to demonstrate an ability to learn and adopt relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes to leverage in your solutions.
As a SWE, you are dedicated to building software to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.
- A PhD degree in engineering, computer science or related field (12 months of graduation or graduated within the last 12 months).A year or two of experience programming in C++, Java or other computer programming languages preferred.
- Some experience building software beyond the classroom environment like an internship or related experience for customers strongly preferred
- Ability to demonstrate understanding of computer science fundamentals that affect code implementation and customer experience
- Demonstrated ability in feature definition, design and feasibility
- Familiarity with managing complex project schedules and nurturing cross-group collaboration.
- Demonstrated ability in estimating development time and relevant challenges to delivery.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a desire to create an open and collaborative team culture
- Demonstrated skills in negotiation and conflict management.
- Software Engineer
- A PhD degree in engineering, computer science or related field 12 months of graduation or graduated within the last 12 months.
- A year or two of experience programming in C++, Java or other computer programming languages preferred.
- Ability to demonstrate understanding of algorithms, data structures and other systems architecture factors that affect code quality, performance and customer experience
- Some experience building software outside of the classroom environment like an internship, hackathon, research project or related experience preferred
- Demonstrated skill in time management and completing software projects in a cooperative team environment
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.