With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities, and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong
This role within American Express Technology (AET) will report into the VP of Cloud Solutions Engineering being responsible for and enabling the migration journey of applications and services to private, public, and hybrid cloud
Role and Responsibilities
- Lead and deliver solutions that focus on application eligibility criteria, platform consumption efficiencies and workload placements, while balancing speed and time-to-market with respect to Cloud platforms (On prem and public cloud), products and services.
- Lead the definition, execution, and maintenance of enterprise-level cloud migration strategy, approaches, tools, architectural design reviews within CE and along with partner teams.
- Become a thought leader in bringing disruptive ways of migration through effective long-term strategy for applications public cloud journey (AWS/GCP/Azure).
- Handle relationships with key stake holders, including Product teams and other technology teams.
- Build POCs to experiment with new technologies, databases, and other application infrastructure to ensure we bring efficient and safe solutions for migration.
- You will constantly pursue and learn industry leading/innovative technologies and solutions. Be acutely aware of enabling technologies and open-source products to support low latency distributed systems. Ensuring the outwardly inward perspective brings innovative solutions.
- Collaborate with Cloud Engineering, Operations, Product, and Platform team in implementing and marketing private and hybrid cloud initiatives
- 50%~60% of the time spent on coding and/or hands-on technical implementation and/or reviewing the code/designed solutions.
- Work with Enterprise Architecture, Staff Engineers, and Delivery teams to define solution requirements and technical implementation approach also participating through MIM bridges to provide fixes and analysis on the short/long term implication from time to time.
- Provide technical mentorship to other software engineers at all levels
- Implement new, highly scalable platform components while working on the existing opportunities related to core platform components.
- Be a Change Agent and willing to challenge the status quo while helping to drive the necessary changes.
As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers’ digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills fresh and relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development. Find your place in technology on #TeamAmex
- Understanding of Cloud Native Principles and architectures and Experience in creating platform level cloud native system architecture with low latency, high throughput, and high availability.
- Knowledge and experience in, building complex solutions and developing cloud native architectures on Private (Red Hat OpenShift) and Public Cloud (AWS /GCP/Azure) and modernizing large and complex technology solutions to cloud environments.
- Have experience in designing and building Cloud native applications. Experience in cloud platforms like Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift are a plus.
- Experience in using NoSQL databases and distributed messaging systems such as Redis, Kafka, Couchbase, Cassandra in the context of low latency and high transaction volume systems.
- Keen awareness of concerns in massively distributed systems and effective solutions.
- Experience with application design, software development, and automated testing
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, and various databases (ex: - Postgres, Cassandra, Couchbase, and Mongo)
- Experience with Application Performance Management tools (Splunk, App Dynamics, New Relic, Dynatrace, etc.)
- Experience in building distributed micro-service systems, experience with Service Mesh products/frameworks like Envoy, Istio, gRPC/ProtoBuf; Distributed System Management/tracing and monitoring such as Zipkin/Jaeger, ELK Stack, Prometheus
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CICD) tools and processes (Example: Jenkins, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience in understanding customer’s requirements and provide solutions to accomplish their business outcomes.
- Proven engineering delivery experience working with global teams
- Ability to learn and deep dive into new technology and business domains, question status quo and think outside of the box.
- Have excellent written and verbal communications skills. Create and deliver effective presentations to Senior Leadership.
- Ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges
Salary Range: $170,000.00 to $255,000.00 annually + sales incentive + equity (if applicable) + benefits
The above represents the expected salary range for this job requisition. Ultimately, in determining your pay, we'll consider your location, experience, and other job-related factors.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That's why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
US Job Seekers/Employees - Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters to access the three posters.
Depending on factors such as business unit requirements, the nature of the position, cost and applicable laws, American Express may provide visa sponsorship for certain positions.