The Content lead will work directly with NBA Africa's television, digital and social media partners to develop NBA Africa's relevant content. He/She will also work with the U.S. programming group to use existing material in archives and develop new content to build, engage and develop the NBA Africa's audience and ultimately increase content consumption. This position will require significant travel across the African continent, as well as working nights & weekends.
- In partnership with the NBA CDS, Product, Digital Content Strategy, DTC, and Marketing teams, develop NBA Africa's content strategy across TV digital (website, app) and social channels with the goal of generating interest in the NBA and NBA Africa in particular Report to NBA Africa Senior Management on content-related decisions & can provide content direction based on strategic insights
- Work with NBA Africa broadcasters and digital partners to develop the game and non-game content that run-on channels owned/operated by partners with a special focus on the youth audience
- Work with NBA Africa broadcasters and GCMD function to focus on and ensure coverage, scheduling and production is at an NBA qualitative level
- Create differentiated content offerings based on available market data
- Understand the current local content landscape & how NBA Africa offering can best fit
- Work with the NBA Global Product & Digital Content Strategy team on content reporting & future product enhancements
- Work collaboratively and proactively with key stakeholders to develop and implement a digital content plan, including a strategic content calendar for NBA Africa to increase and enhance visibility, fan engagement, brand awareness and support revenue generation Build strong relationships with 3rd party production counterparts to collaborate and produce quality content
- Oversee the production of long and short-form videos or create graphic content for digital, social and editorial distribution
- Create and manage non-game content to engage non-avid fans across multiple genres (music, fashion, gastronomy, instruction, travel, etc.)
- Work with NBA Africa GCMD and broader Marketing functions to figure out the best way to maximize the impact of content through delivery to the various media outlets in use by NBA Africa, the NBA Global regions, and the BAL.
- Support NBA Africa Marketing Partnerships partners by developing content opportunities and tie-ins to maximize revenue and engagement
- Collaborate with NBA Africa Digital and Social media department in analyzing conversation across social media and identify content strategies to increase traffic and engagement
- Strong understanding of the African media market and/or NBA content production and programming
- Knowledge and passion about the game of basketball & how to best develop content around the players, teams, Culture, and game itself to showcase across TV, digital & social channels
- Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok and Snapchat - both from an African audience & global audience perspective
- Ability and willingness to work on deadlines and handle multiple tasks at once with a precise and detail-oriented approach
- Fluency in English. French/ Portuguese/ Arabic beneficial.
- Strong understanding of storytelling and copywriting
- Strong understanding of Avid, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, PowerPoint and Keynote
- Enthusiasm for building a Bespoke African Narrative leveraging content to tell the story of the NBA in Africa.
- Knowledgeable and curious about the social & direct-to-consumer landscape, especially as it pertains to an African audience
- Knowledge of basketball analytics and the rules of the game
- Strong writing and communication skills, as well as ability to execute editorial judgment Ability and willingness to work both independently and as part of a team
- A minimum of 7 years of content programming and production management
- History of developing creative content solutions for TV and digital
- Prior sports, entertainment or marketing experience
- Professional experience in pre-production and post-production sides of the industry Experience in publishing from Content Management Systems
- Prior experience leading content planning for various platforms
- Track record of utilizing digital analytics & trends to best leverage contact on multiple platforms
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelor's degree required