Principal Software Engineer for IT Quality Engineering Environment Management Services/EMS - Austin / Round Rock TX
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. And more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees, and provide them with growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as part of our team.
Dell’s IT Quality Engineering Environment Management Services (EMS) organization monitors and maintains applications and restores services for end users in Dell’s software engineering and testing teams. We ensure availability and performance of systems and application environments through proactive and reactive analysis and maintenance. We are a support team, working closely with developers and test teams who are creating the user experience on Dell.com and more. We analyze health check dashboards for non-production environments, including software testing validation environments and more. We focus on creating preventive actions and systems, and keeping environments healthy, and implementing predictive monitoring.
As our Principal Software Engineer for Environment Management Services, you will be the face of our team at Austin / Round Rock headquarters, and be our point person in this time zone to handle major issues and root cause analysis investigation. You will work with other segment support team members and more in Austin and globally:
- Manage, analyze, resolve and document software and hardware issues and events related to system and environment availability, and coordinate workable solutions, in both Linux-based and Windows-based environments
- Monitor and measure performance characteristics of application, perform software upgrades including planning, scheduling, coordination and deployment; and perform routine maintenance
- Communicates with all stakeholders (customers, development teams, end users, etc.) to address system issues and conduct mentoring and training
- Propose and implements systems enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system Learns new applications, Dell-specific technologies, system behavior and business processes as they relates to customer needs
- Design, authors, tests, documents and debugs application packages according to the customer’s standards, policies and procedures
- Define corporate packaging, QA and verification workflows, lessons learned logs and other centralized documentation
- Creates and maintains application packaging test and development environments; performs application environment builds and refreshes of complex environments and; creates, implements and tests disaster recovery procedures
8 years of related experience in a professional role with a Bachelor’s degree, or 6 years with a Master’s degree; experience to include:
- Oracle Products: Weblogic, Database; Java and .NET based applications and Webservices; IBM MQ / RabbitMQ platforms
- Both Linux and Windows Servers administration experience
- Hands on experience with Environment, Problem and Incident Management, ITIL and Service Desk support
- Hands on experience with Monitoring, Incident and Defects Management Tools - Foglight, Zabbix, Oracle Enterprise Management, ServiceNow & Team Foundation Serve
- Proven development of innovative and creative output based on interpretation and analysis that improve business performance and contribute to corporate goals and strategic intents
- Experience offering proposed design changes/suggestions to processes and applications and may represent IT as the principal technical contact, often performing in a technical project leadership role
- Experience coordinating internal IT processes and resources in order to successfully deploy new solutions and providing appropriate assignments, tasks, evaluating work, communicating progress toward project goals; also coordinating and helping prioritize tasks and deliverables
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits and growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re skilled in translating business needs into technical solutions, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.
Dell is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, genetics, or citizenship status (when otherwise legally authorized to work) and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Dell encourages applicants of all ages.