Supports the development and documentation of mechanical and fluid system and thermal environment requirements to establish the system design. Supports the development, maintenance or modification of system, component and installation designs/proposals to provide design documentation to downstream groups. Performs and documents analyses to validate and verify systems and components meet requirements and specifications. Contributes to supplier development, test and production activities and directs the supplier to optimize integration and achieve program goals. Supports system components' designs/proposals standards to provide installation and detail documentation. Trains others. Works under general direction. **This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility**
During the last 100 years, humans went from walking on Earth to walking on the moon. With each decade, aviation technology crossed another frontier and the world was changed. From the depths of the ocean, to Mars and beyond, Boeing is inspiring the next century of explorers. Our engineers work on cutting-edge aerospace technology. We are a team of fast-paced and eager engineers; skilled scientists and thinkers; bold innovators willing to push boundaries. Join us, and be part of the team that will change the future of aerospace as we now know it.
The Southern California Design Center is currently seeking an experienced Mechanical Systems Service Engineer (Level 3) with advanced and /or broad knowledge of Boeing design and/or engineering principles. Primary responsibility will be addressing and resolving in-service issues related to airplane Flight Control Mechanical Hydraulic systems. The position requires flexibility to address emergent issues and important airline meetings off-hours and may require an occasional off-shift work schedule to support the fleet operating 24/7/365.
- Assessing and resolving product/process issues through the product lifecycle.
- Leading research of technical, operational and quality issues that cannot be resolved by the customer.
- Designing and/or providing analysis of interim and final engineering solutions to return airplanes to revenue service.
- Working with and possibly directing cross-functional teams to conduct root cause analysis and develop dispositions for complex design non-conformances.
- Assesses complex system events reports to determine potential safety issues.
- Develops and implements product/process improvements.
- Oversees documentation of hardware related problems.
- Identifies the need for technical training.
- Participates in and may lead activities for on-site disabled product repair teams.
- Participates in accident investigation support teams.
- Develops customer correspondence for continued safe operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Solves problems concerning and provides other support of fielded hardware and software over the entire product lifecycle.
- Leads analysis and translation of complex requirements into system architecture, hardware and software designs and interface specifications.
- Works with others to develop program test strategies.
- Manages performance of critical suppliers to ensure system integration and compliance with requirements.
- Conducts program independent reviews and reports results to program leadership.
- Provides critical support of fielded hardware and software over the entire product lifecycle.
- Leads research into technology advances for potential application to company business needs.
- Recognized as a business unit-wide expert in qualification, physical and functional integration and installation design and resolving supplier technical issues.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a “US Person” as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required. “US Person” includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required skills and experience):
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in an engineering or science related discipline is required.
- 4+ years experience with Mechanical / Hydraulic Systems.
- US Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired skills and experience):
- Flight Controls, Landing gears and/or Hydraulic System experience desired
- Experience with 7-series airplanes desired.
- Other airplane experience is a plus.
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's and 5 or more years' experience, Master's degree with 3 or more years' experience or PhD degree with experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.