The Initiative is a new first-party game studio located in Santa Monica backed by Microsoft. Our studio is about craft, creating story, innovating, and looking ahead to the next big thing.
At the Initiative, we are looking for collaborative problem solvers who want to dive into something new and create groundbreaking experiences for our players. Join us for this once in a career opportunity to help build the studio, define our culture, and create an environment to attract world-class talent.
The Initiative has an immediate opening for a Senior Level Designer to craft genre defining AAA gameplay experiences. As a Senior Level Designer, you will design, build, script, and produce key pieces of game content from blue-sky to final product – serving as the development point person across all departments to ensure quality and successful execution.
You have strong opinions and relish participating in team critiques, offering and receiving feedback in a positive and constructive manner. You are obsessed with creating inventive, high-quality player experiences and have remarkable attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and a superhuman ability to “get it done”.
• Pitch and establish level concepts, define gameplay beats and craft overall pacing for levels
• Design and champion gameplay sequences, levels, and enemy encounters
• Craft 2D level layouts and author level documentation
• Construct 3D level layouts and script in game events and scenarios using our level editor
• Work with game designers to prototype and build game systems, features, and mechanics that reinforce level design initiatives
• Collaborate with all departments to bring the content vision to life from concept to final product – evangelizing the design intent and upholding quality
• Analyze feedback from team critiques and user research and create actionable plans to improve the player-experience
• Assist with mentoring and growing less-experienced level designers
• 5 years minimum game development experience as a game or level designer
• Shipped at least 1 AAA project
• Proficiency with 2D graphic design software (Photoshop, Illustrator, Visio, etc.)
• Demonstrated experience with 3D level editors or modelling packages (Unreal, Unity, Maya, etc.)
• Visual scripting proficiency (Unreal Blueprint, Frostbite, etc.)
• Experience with Rapidly Prototyping game features, levels, setups, and sequences
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.