PAX Labs is an award-winning consumer technology brand with a mission to establish cannabis as a force for good. Our products set a high bar for quality and, together with the PAX App, offer unique features such as safety locking, adjustable temperature and draw control. As millions of consumers try cannabis for the first time or return to it after a long hiatus, PAX believes that quality, transparency and predictability are the keys to safe, responsible use by adults.
Headquartered in San Francisco, PAX is backed by leading technology investors including Tiger Global and Tao Invest (Pritzker family fund). We are an exceptional team with hardware and software backgrounds in consumer technology, healthcare, and biotech, and are growing rapidly to deliver on our mission. Our internal culture values diversity, integrity, having an impact, and passion for the larger movement that PAX is a part of.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Director, Mechanical Engineering, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for designing new products that are innovative, cost efficient, reliable, and ship on schedule. You will troubleshoot and make improvements to existing products, and work closely with other members of the engineering staff to create optimal solutions to difficult design, structural, thermal, and battery life issues. You will be comfortable sketching and prototyping new ideas and be familiar with engineering best practices, concepts and procedures. You may lead and direct the work of others.
Our products are hailed for their beautiful design language, high quality and reliability, and we lead the industry with product and technology innovations. Our Mechanical Engineers are responsible for the architecture and detailed design of all of our products, working closely with the rest of the Hardware team to achieve the product vision for the device. This role is critical to leading the development of future products.
As the PAX Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will:
- Integrate with cross-functional teams to create high quality products that delight our customers.
- Work with ID to assess product features for manufacturability and recommend capable processes, equipment, etc.
- Lead the development of the mechanical product architectures, assemblies/modules, parts, and accessories
- Detailed design of mechanical components, including complex assemblies and sub-systems.
- Conduct rapid feasibility studies to design for mechanical robustness, schedule, and cost.
- Oversee internal and external prototyping.
- Facilitate design reviews and drive best practices
- Collaborate closely with Reliability and Failure Analysis teams to root cause and resolve issues
- Work directly with part suppliers on DFM, tooling kick-off, tool bring-up, and tool/part qualification.
- Collaborate with local and overseas engineering and manufacturing teams to qualify tooling and define visual quality requirements.
- Work directly with our CM partners in support of system assembly build activities.
- Collaborate extensively with Manufacturing Engineering on our Supply Chain team to develop and validate fixture
WHAT WE LOOK FOR IN YOU
- 10+ years in consumer products and/or other product development
- Deeply technical mechanical engineering background
- Strong track record of shipping products from concept to mass production
- Expert level proficiency in Solidworks
- Experience working with Asian manufacturing and supply chains including travel to manufacturing sites
- Excellent organizational, communication, presentation, and data analytics skills
- Experience in designing consumer oriented products using a broad range of processes and materials, with an emphasis on cosmetic plastic molding and metal parts (sheet metal, CNC, extrusion, etc.).
- Experience with the development and integration of electro-mechanical components, such as flex circuits, batteries, and antenna.
- International travel is expected (< 20%)
Our Ideal Candidate Will:
- Have seen multiple product cycles from start to finish and shipping consumer hardware at high volume (7 figures in terms of annual units).
- Have extremely strong XFNL collaboration skills and works super well with others.
- Be a creative problem solver and make data-driven decisions.
- Have one or more of the following additional skillsets: strong simulation/FEA skills, thermal simulation and heat transfer experience
- BS in ME, related discipline, or demonstrated equivalent experience. MS or PhD strongly preferred
PAX LABS PERKS & BENEFITS
- Competitive compensation, equity & bi-annual performance reviews
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401K plan
- Generous PTO policy
- Paid Parental Leave
- Monthly wellness reimbursement
- Cell Phone reimbursement
- Employee Purchase Program for discounted PAX devices
- Weekly catered lunch, endless snacks and beverages
- Dog Friendly HQ in the Mission District of San Francisco
- Employee Assistance Program including access to online legal support
Don't let the confidence gap get in the way of applying! We'd love to hear from you.