Do you want to work on the cutting edge of cloud platform development? Would you like to work with customer engineers to understand their needs, identify emerging patterns, and develop new capabilities—in collaboration with Microsoft product teams, partners and open source communities—to empower customers to do more with the cloud?
If so, then we have the job for you in the Microsoft Commercial Software Engineering (CSE) team. The CSE team codes with customer/partner engineering teams on their hardest challenges to unblock and accelerate progress. In the process, we capture learnings and develop reusable code frameworks, product feedback and guidance to improve the value of our platform.
We are looking for an exceptionally skilled Technical Program Manager to serve as a “player-coach” style Lead for the Tech Domain TPMs who drive CSE collaborations with Microsoft product engineering around strategic customer engagement and platform validation and development. Tech Domain TPMs work closely with the product engineering teams to formulate strategic priorities, assist dev crews in planning and executing on customer/partner projects that support those priorities, distill insights from customer/partner engagements and reflect those back in actionable form to product engineering. As part of this work, Tech Domain TPMs identify and ‘own’ end-to-end platform scenarios that are relevant to their focus domains, develop the end-to-end user stories to be validated and addressed opportunistically in CSE customer/partner engagements and orchestrate across Product Engineering and CSE subject-matter experts to define the engineering approach to address these as suitable engagement opportunities arise.
In tandem with technology domain dev leads, the Tech Domain TPMs mine global CSE developer-customer code-with engagements to prioritize the problems customers are attempting to address in a specific technology area. The Tech Domain TPMs build and execute plans for the Tech Domains, identifying friction points and roadblocks, driving enumeration and communication of feedback to product engineering teams, and coordination of an asset plan to develop and publish rich open source code artifacts to address platform gaps. They track and report on progress against objectives and are point for maintaining alignment across all relevant stakeholder teams.
Successful Tech Domain TPMs bring a passion for developer platform technologies, a proven ability to deliver results as a product owner for developer platform offerings, the ability to create and deliver high-impact, reusable software artifacts using modern, cloud-based development approaches and the ambition to drive results with a cross-functional team of software engineers. Successful TPMs are also self-motivated to continually deepen their hands-on technical skills. Loving the complexity, uncertainty and constant change of our environment, they look upon ambiguity as an opportunity to lead and set direction for the team and themselves.
At Microsoft we expect all of our people to have a passion for technology and the positive impact that technology can have on the communities in which we live and do business. We seek motivated individuals who wish to use Microsoft as a platform for making a difference in the world. Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer and sees workforce diversity as the foundation on which we will deliver on our company mission to empower every person and organisation on the planet to achieve more.
We have an informal and flexible work environment and you’ll be welcome to work from home, our offices, customer sites or your favorite coffee shop next to the gym – wherever is best for you to get your job done. We invest in your health, wellness and financial future by offering a competitive package including a wide range of benefits built around your personal needs and of those close to you.Responsibilities
In this role, you will be responsible to work directly on projects and in parallel coach/mentor a group of senior/principal-level TPMs to:
• Build and maintain productive engineering partnerships with Microsoft product engineering teams (focused on developer platform).
• Lead hands-on investigations of complementary or alternative/competitive platform technologies to produce insights that will help both product engineering and CSE Dev Crews to refine hypotheses for validation through customer engagements.
• Drive constructive dialogue across technology, industry and customer/account facing teams within Microsoft to help qualify and narrow down the best opportunities for dev crews to validate and enhance Microsoft developer platform offerings through CSE engagements.
• Assure that engineering projects are defined to maximize platform enhancement and reuse potential as well as near-term customer impact.
• Act as Product Owner (PO) on strategic platform validation projects, developing problem statements, success criteria, definion of done, epics/stories, prioritized backlog, etc.
• Drive the selection and prioritization of ongoing, foundational projects to create reusable assets that address platform gaps.
• Identify and provide feedback to product engineering teams on any technical blockers to Microsoft/Azure platform adoption—e.g., platform features, developer tooling, open source/third party solution integrations.
• Investigate “prior art”, both internally and externally, to make best use of existing assets and expertise.
• Work with engineering managers to identify, onboard and make efficient use of tech domain experts in project teams as needs evolve over the project lifecycle.
• Evolve best practices in open source software (OSS) development to help project teams make consistently high-quality, sustainable OSS contributions.
• Participate in hands-on coding activities, to maintain up-to-date technical knowledge, to understand key architecture/design trade-offs, developer productivity/ease-of-use factors and competitive/alternative approaches that customers could take to addressing the scenario.
In addition to these TPM responsibilities, TPM Leads have special accountability for:
• Acting as a “servant leader”, exercising influence through enabling team success as well as actively supporting the contributions and development plans of individual team members.
• Creating a diverse, inclusive, high-trust team culture where everyone is able to do their best work and collaborate deeply on customer projects, platform/OSS enhancements and the continuous evolution of internal tools, processes and PM craft.
• Maintaining constructive dialogue across technology, industry and customer/account facing teams within Microsoft to a) get ahead of complex or unusual opportunities that require an extra measure of up-front qualification or scoping and b) drive continuous improvement in our approach to collaborating on customer/partner engagements.
• Working closely with CSE engineering leaders to help optimize application of crew resources to tech-domain relevant projects.
We often think we know the kind of person we are looking for, but invariably find that we hire an individual that doesn’t meet any specific definition. In this spirit, the list below is not a check list to be completed but simply a set of pictures we’re painting to give you an understanding of the role.
• 10 years experience serving as a team lead for seasoned engineering PMs in a player/coach capacity.
• Track record of delivering impact as a product owner for developer platform offerings.
• Deep understanding of cloud, edge and other computing technologies, including business drivers and emerging trends across Microsoft and non-Microsoft technologies.
• Experience working in geographically dispersed, virtual teams and ability to orchestrate high-performing engineering teams.
• Self-starter and ability to work with a high degree of independence.
• Ability to build relationships with senior technical and business stakeholders.
• Strong knowledge of best practices in cloud architecture
• Track record of working closely with large engineering teams in a test-driven, agile development methodology.
• Strong verbal and written communication ability including fluency in English.
• Be prepared to spend 25-35% annually travelling within your global region (EMEA, Asia, Americas) with occasional travel worldwide.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.