Sr. Data Center Engineer
The Data Center Engineer will be responsible for the design, budget estimation, construction, commissioning, operations and monitoring of the Siemens DISW data centers, server rooms and other technical spaces, with a focus on power, cooling, cabinets, and structured cabling. The Engineer will be responsible for getting the spaces ready for IT equipment, and working with vendors to keep them in good working order through their life cycle. The technical spaces that the Engineer will be responsible for will be located in a combination of owned and leased facilities.
Working under the direction of the Facilities Technical Services Manager and our Global Lead Engineer, the Data Center Engineer will interact with IT/TechOps partners, Regional Facilities Operations Team and with Architects, Engineers, Contractors, Colocation data center operators and Equipment Vendors.
The engineer will develop and implement approaches to maintain high availability and reliability in our data centers, while also seeking ways to improve efficiency.
This job will:
- Participate in office move/consolidation projects, ensuring that any technical spaces are properly designed, constructed, and installed utilizing our server room reference design as a basis for these builds. The Engineer will be responsible for updating the server room reference designs to enhance clarity, incorporate project learnings and suggestions for improvements.
- The Engineer will attend project meetings with Regional Facilities Operations Team and with Architects, Engineers, Contractors, Colocation data center operators and Equipment Vendors, and will present and explain our server room references designs, review design documents. The engineer will review be responsible equipment submittals, quotes, progress reports ensure accuracy, and that the proper equipment is specified, procured, and installed to our standards. This will often require producing CAD or Visio drawings, 3D models, CFD models, spreadsheets, PowerPoint and other narrative documents, as well as providing vendor documents to help others understand our design intent.
- The Engineer will draft Request for Proposal (RFP) Documents for equipment and services, and will work with vendors to quote small quantities of equipment. Examples: RFP for a new UPS, RFP for replacement of large air handling units, RFP for expansion of a Colocation data center, RFP for data center maintenance, Quote for 12 Cabinet PDUs. The engineer will work with global procurement to issue RFPs to vendors,
- Configure our global monitoring system to monitor the data center/server room equipment at all sites.
- The Engineer will be part of a team that shall quickly respond to abnormal incidents/conditions in data center facilities systems. The Engineer will identify issues and get critical systems back online quickly, but also help identify root-cause and solutions to chronic problems. Work with engineers and vendors to design and implement fixes for chronic problems.
- While based in Oregon, this position will also provide global data center support and data center projects, and will require some travel.
- This position requires occasionally being on-call including after-hours, weekends, and holidays in addition to responding to emergencies during normal working hours.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- 5+ years experience as engineer or technician operating mechanical, electrical and monitoring/controls systems, including experience with a critical environment such as a data center.
- Excellent understanding of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a data center environment, including:
- Switchgear and different types of circuit breakers
- UPS systems
- Single and three-phase power
- Multiple Voltages: 208/120v, 480/277v, 400/220vv
- ATS/STS units
- RPP/PDU/PMM distribution panels
- Server Cabinet Redundant power sources and IT power supplies
- Chillers, Condensing Units, Dry Coolers, Fluid Coolers
- Water-side and Air-side economizer systems
- Air handling units with economizers
- Computer Room Air Conditioning Units
- Fire alarm and suppression systems
- Building monitoring/control systems
- Monitoring Protocols (SNMP, Modbus, BACnet, Redfish API)
- Concurrent Maintenance w/ Redundant elements in a critical environment
- Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- General Computer Skills
- MS Office, AutoCAD and/or Visio, Web meetings
- General knowledge of TCP/IP networking, serial communications
- Comfortable configuring IP addresses on a variety of devices
• Strong technical, problem solving and critical thinking skills
• Strong written and oral communication skills. Produce high-quality written documentation and drawings. Ability to patiently explain technical concepts to non-technical people.
• Partner/Consult with facilities managers and architects/engineers of record to recommend quality, cost-effective solutions that fit Siemens’ business requirements and goals. Provide technical assistance through a facilities/construction project.
• Ability to effectively oversee contractors performing maintenance or construction on critical infrastructure systems: change management, ground rules, safety, communication, escalation
• Organized. Able to manage multiple priorities
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
• Location: Wilsonville, OR (Office - Hybrid)
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• International data center or construction experience
• analyze expense trade-offs of capital expenditures vs expense savings
The salary range for this position is $78,500 to $141,300 USD and this role is eligible to earn incentive compensation. The actual compensation offered is based on the successful candidate’s work location as well as additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education/training. Siemens offers a variety of health and wellness benefits to employees. Details regarding our benefits can be found here: www.benefitsquickstart.com. In addition, this position is eligible for time off in accordance with Company policies, including paid sick leave, paid parental leave, PTO (for non-exempt employees) or non-accrued flexible vacation (for exempt employees).
At Siemens we are always challenging ourselves to build a better future. We need the most innovative and diverse Digital Minds to develop tomorrow’s reality. Find out more about the Digital world of Siemens here: www.siemens.com/careers/digitalminds
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry Software Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.