Novelis is the world leader in aluminum rolling and recycling, producing an estimated 19 percent of the world's flat-rolled aluminum products. We work alongside our customers to provide innovative solutions to the aerospace, beverage can, automotive and high-end specialty markets.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, Novelis has approximately 11,600 employees in 33 operating facilities on four continents and is investing $2.5 billion to build a new low-carbon recycling and rolling plant in Bay Minette, Alabama. The highly advanced facility will serve growing demand for aluminum beverage can sheet in North America. The new facility will also serve the automotive market, where aluminum is the fastest growing material as automakers make plans to achieve their sustainability goals. It will aim to be net carbon neutral for Scope 1 and 2, be powered primarily by renewable energy, use recycled water and be a zero-waste facility.
Novelis is seeking a Civil Engineer to join the onsite Central Maintenance team for the new Greenfield project in Bay Minette, AL. The person in this role will report to the Utility Manager. The ideal candidate will have thorough knowledge of civil/structural design and engineering techniques, as well as CAD and graphics skills. The Civil Engineer is responsible for handling all aspects of civil engineering such as design and construction. After completion of the facility the position will transition to a greater focus on maintenance of the civil items around the site. Individuals need to plan and conduct independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria. Devise innovative approaches to problems, and prepare or modify drawings, specifications, calculations, charts and graphs, and supervise work for compliance to applicable codes, accepted engineering practices and Novelis standards.
Responsibilities & Qualifications:
- Work with and provide direction to the Engineer of Record, Construction Management and contractors in the design of the new Greenfield facility, acting as owner of field engineering support during construction
- Review and provided comment to design drawings
- Perform structural design and analysis calculations using governing codes and standards, engineering formulas, skills, and experience
- Layout and details portions of projects using schematic layout by project lead engineer, and research design options and document findings
- Build conceptional layouts
- Provide drawing for own designs and produce sketches to incorporate in drawings by Designers/Drafters
- Assume the lead engineer’s role on assigned projects
- Provide engineering expertise to project work and selection of replacement or new equipment to help ensure consistency and standardization of components and ease of maintenance
- May serve as Project Engineer and as a designated contact on smaller, less sophisticated projects
- Develop probable construction cost estimates for projects within the department
- Coordinate work with other teams such as architectural, mechanical, electrical, etc.
- Use computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering design documents
- Perform field activities such as observe and record existing field conditions, take and verify measurements within project area
- Prioritize, draft, and coordinate technical documents
- Implement the safety first principle, following HSE rules, and participate in HSE training, as well as timely reporting of accidents and near miss events. Be responsible for the security of oneself, colleagues and visitors.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, preferably Civil Engineering
- 10+ years of experience with advance knowledge in civil and/or structural engineering
- Superior customer service skills
- Excellent communication (oral and written) skills
- Ability to communicate with all levels in the organization
- Personal traits should include the ability to apply human relation skills to empower, train, understand, and develop others to attain the objectives
- Desire to take initiative and develop a pro-active relationship with employees through follow-up, understanding their needs and fostering a collaborative relationship
- Ability to organize and prioritize workload; must be able to handle multiple tasks at once without sacrificing attention to detail
- Must be flexible and able to operate in a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Computer skills with software applications proficiency, including Microsoft Office. Ability to learn new software programs quickly
- Must also possess leadership skills to direct, lead and develop other personnel to accomplish personal, plant and corporate objectives
- Experience with AutoCAD and Finite Element Analysis software
- Place a high priority on Safety in all activities
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Suite
- Experience in a multinational company
- SAP Procurement knowledge and experience
- 5+ years of infrastructure maintenance experience
What We Offer:
Novelis' benefits say a lot about how we care for each other. Our employees and their families have many different needs. As a result, our benefits offer choices on many levels and are high in quality, driven in the marketplace, and affordable. These are a few of the benefits we offer to support you and your family’s well-being:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Health savings accounts – Company Funded Health Savings Account (HSA) and Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)
- Company-paid basic life insurance and Additional voluntary life coverage
- Paid vacation and competitive personal time off
- 401(k) savings plan with company match
- Retirement savings plans – medical and prescription drug coverage through private exchange
- Employee assistance programs – available 24/7 to you and your family
- Wellness and Work Life Support - career development and educational assistance
At Novelis, we believe our culture of collaboration is what makes us great, and we would love for you to consider building a career with us! Novelis provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. All terms and conditions of employment at Novelis including recruiting hiring placement promotion termination layoffs recalls transfers leaves of absence compensation and training are without regard to race color religion age sex national origin disability status genetics protected veteran status sexual orientation gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by federal provincial or local laws.
Novelis’ newly announced Bay Minette facility will be located 35 miles northeast of Mobile, AL and 45 miles west of Pensacola, FL and is expected to create approximately 1000 high-paying, advanced careers in modern manufacturing and become fully operational in 2025. This highly advanced rolling and recycling facility will be the first of its kind. It will primarily serve our customers in the beverage can and automotive markets. Novelis is committed to the community and will actively build partnerships in Baldwin County focused on recycling, STEM education and workforce development.