Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Through Kiva Capital, we serve as a bridge between large scale impact first investors and underserved populations. Our digital identity platform enables borrowers who don’t have a track record with traditional financial institutions to record and verify their financial history and gain access to less costly mainstream financial markets.
Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.66 billion in loan capital for 4.1 million borrowers in 77 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.Kiva's values:
Impact first - This is why we exist. This is the drumbeat we march to. Every day.
Extreme ownership - Own it; you, your relationships, your impact. Insist that others support you and hold you accountable.
Be curious and bold - Never stop learning. Question assumptions. Take Risks and dream big.
Inclusion. Equity. Diversity. - Without reservation and without caveat. In our hiring, in our workplace and in our impact in the world.
Honor and integrity - Do the most right thing in the most right way. Cherish diversity and respect each other.
Love and kindness always - Say what you mean. Mean what you say. And don't say it mean. Clarity. Courage. Kindness.
At Kiva, we pursue our mission through quantifiable results and measurable impact. To do so, we collect and analyze data from both our borrowers and field partners. We regularly review and incorporate the latest external research, practices, and standards. As Kiva operates at the intersection of financial inclusion and technology, we take a multi-method approach to measurement, with a strong emphasis on efficiency and scalability. Importantly, as Kiva drives toward impact at scale, we take a proactive approach to defining new impact models as we adapt, expand, and maximize our investments.
This role will join Kiva’s impact team, which is responsible for Kiva’s impact strategy, frameworks, and operationalization across all of Kiva’s impact lines. This role will report to the Senior Director of Impact, and have close interaction with the wider investments team. All members of the impact team often work cross-functionally, working closely with Strategic Partnerships, Communications, Product, Marketing, and Engineering.
The Impact Data Manager fills a critical function ensuring Kiva has consistent, accurate and timely impact data to guide investment decisions, analysis from which to draw insights, readily available to enable internal decision making, as well as strengthen marketing, fundraising and external communication efforts. As part of this function the Impact Data Manager will lead impact data collection efforts and systems using continuous improvement principles, particularly for the impact scorecard which is used to drive investment decisions.
They will work closely with the Impact Content Creation Manager and the Senior Director of Impact on ongoing monitoring and evaluation to demonstrate the impact of Kiva’s partners, and ensure that impact data and insights are made available for external communications, marketing and fundraising. They will maintain Kiva’s impact data sets, and ensure key dashboards are kept up to date. Additionally, they will ensure Kiva’s reach is calculated accurately for reporting purposes, and tracking of Kiva’s progress towards impact goals.
They will assist the Investments and Strategic Partnerships (fundraising) teams to support both development of and reporting on grants and funds. They also will support both regular reporting (ie. investor quarterly reports), as well as on-going requests for impact data and insights from Product, Marketing, Communications, Impact Investments, and Strategic Partnerships teams.
The ideal candidate is passionate about data analysis and social impact and is familiar with impact monitoring and evaluation practices. They thrive on high levels of autonomy, and enjoy working collaboratively across an organization. This position will report to our Senior Director of Impact.
Data Collection and Management:
- Maintain and manage Kiva’s impact data sets, impact databases, and dashboards to ensure the Communications, Strategic Partnerships, Marketing, Product and Impact Investment teams have ready access to the impact data and evidence they need
- Manage Kiva’s impact data for all business lines, and sectors, ensuring proper calculation of key impact metrics and OKRs, and ensuring a consistent single source of truth for impact data
- Oversee the process to collect and input accurate impact data from our lending partners to update Kiva’s Impact Scorecards, and manage data sheets to calculate scores
- Maintain data management system for all impact data and associated scoring models; manage changes and additions to models as needed
- Develop new systems or processes, as needed, to collect data from partners, borrowers, and other stakeholders
Impact Data Analysis, Insights, and Knowledge Management:
- Analyze Kiva’s impact data to provide portfolio views, and timely insights to leadership, marketing and comms, strategic partnerships, product and investment teams
- Analyze impact data to regularly report on impact metrics within each of Kiva’s impact themes and impact OKRs for internal and external stakeholders, including investor quarterly reports
- Estimate Kiva’s Impact through management and continuous improvement of Kiva’s impact scorecard, and analysis of the resulting data
- Provide IMs with feedback on partners’ impact potential, and portfolio views of impact scoring
- Provide data insights and visualizations through data, charts, graphs, and infographics for Kiva’s impact reports
- Update key impact dashboards to ensure knowledge management and sharing of impact data and insights internally and externally
- Respond to regular data analysis requests from Kiva teams utilizing Looker, Tableau
- Work effectively with Investment Managers to understand, interpret and utilize the impact insights of their portfolios
- Analyze evaluation data for borrower and partner outcomes
- 3 to 5 years work experience in impact data management and analytics, monitoring and evaluation, and/or international development with a quantitative focus
- Passion for impact measurement
- Must be fluent in English
- Please submit resume and cover letter in English
- Strong data analysis skills, particularly using Excel/Sheets
- Strong data visualization and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently
- Capacity to handle multiple tasks and prioritize effectively
- Experience in a start-up or other fast-paced environment
- Undergraduate degree in Economics, Political Science, Government, Data Analytics, Mathematics, International Development, or International Relations
- Knowledge of R, Python, SPSS, Stata or other statistical language
- Microfinance, Impact Investing, impact monitoring, or impact evaluation experience
- Experience in data visualization or data dashboard tools such as Tableau, Looker, Power BI, Google Data Studio, or Salesforce
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, parental leave, professional development, 401k matching, generous PTO, and more.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
- Salary range: $48K - $65K for Bogota, CO; a final offer will be dependent upon a candidate’s location, skills and experience.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
Sign up to connect with companies that trust you to work wherever you work best.Register Now, be first in line
Sign up for our weekly remote work round-up newsletter and have new openings from companies that care delivered right to your inbox.