Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Through Kiva Capital, we serve as a bridge between large scale impact first investors and underserved populations. Our digital identity platform enables borrowers who don’t have a track record with traditional financial institutions to record and verify their financial history and gain access to less costly mainstream financial markets.
Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.66 billion in loan capital for 4.1 million borrowers in 77 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.Kiva's values:
Impact first - This is why we exist. This is the drumbeat we march to. Every day.
Extreme ownership - Own it; you, your relationships, your impact. Insist that others support you and hold you accountable.
Be curious and bold - Never stop learning. Question assumptions. Take Risks and dream big.
Inclusion. Equity. Diversity. - Without reservation and without caveat. In our hiring, in our workplace and in our impact in the world.
Honor and integrity - Do the most right thing in the most right way. Cherish diversity and respect each other.
Love and kindness always - Say what you mean. Mean what you say. And don't say it mean. Clarity. Courage. Kindness.
The Manager / Senior Manager of Risk will perform key financial and portfolio risk management functions for Kiva’s Impact Investments team, reporting to the Director of Risk and working closely with a global team of investment professionals. This role will support a diverse portfolio of impact investment products, focused primarily on Kiva’s Marketplace international crowdfunding product while also providing support on Kiva Capital’s institutional lending product.
This is an ideal role for someone who enjoys analyzing prospective and current financial investments; building effective frameworks and tools for identifying and managing risk; diving deep into data and producing insightful analyses and actionable recommendations; and thinking creatively about the dynamic between risk, return and impact. The role offers tremendous exposure to all aspects of impact investing, from innovative technological solutions to support small businesses, to scaling asset management to meet the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the respective locations (United States, Mexico or Colombia) on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship. Please ensure that your resume and cover letter are in English. Thank you!
Key responsibilities include:
- Support Credit Decisions:
- Assess investment proposals and participate in Kiva Marketplace Investment Committee discussions and/or approval, in collaboration with the Director of Risk.
- Monitor, assess, and collaborate with the Director of Risk to approve ongoing changes to credit limits and statuses for Kiva Marketplace partners.
- Work with the investments team to prepare financial analyses, as needed, in support of new investments, investment funds or products.
- Provide support on currency risk management to the Director of Risk and Investment Team.
- Monitor Outstanding Portfolio:
- Manage the monitoring of quarterly financial data from Kiva’s Marketplace partners and Kiva Capital investees, highlighting key emerging risk issues across portfolios
- Develop standard tools and reports, and analyze key metrics to support monitoring of credit, country and FX risk across multiple investment products
- Manage regular risk-related processes including late payment monitoring, problem partner watchlist, policy compliance, and risk-related investor reporting (as needed)
- Review and approve Kiva Lending Partner risk ratings on an annual basis.
- Support Investment Managers and Director of Risk as needed on problem deal work-outs and prepare updates on problem investments and workout progress.
- Ensure Kiva lenders are kept informed about important issues within Kiva’s portfolio in accordance with our commitment to maintaining a high level of transparency.
- Manage Risk Processes and Operations:
- Become an expert on internal systems and practices for Kiva Marketplace lending partners, loans, credit lines and invoicing/payments.
- Manage and consider improvements to existing risk management tools, and propose and develop new tools; support risk and fund modeling.
- Work with Kiva’s Product and Credit Operations teams to adapt internal systems to manage and improve processes and policies with an eye towards efficiency.
- Manage and further develop Kiva’s KYC processes in collaboration with the broader Risk team; manage annual policy monitoring and policy review processes.
- Maintain publicly available information about Kiva’s borrower and Kiva lending partners, requirements and due diligence standards and methods.
- Work closely with the Risk Analyst on various projects and ongoing requirements; provide management support as needed.
- 4-5 years (Manager), 6-7 years (Senior Manager) of relevant work experience (risk management, credit risk analysis, financial data analysis, financial modeling, portfolio management).
- Experience in impact investing, international investments, microfinance, foreign exchange risk, and/or social enterprise development a plus.
- Robust financial statement analysis and financial modeling skills a must.
- Expertise in Excel and/or Google Workplace platforms; experience with CRM and business analytics platforms, such as Salesforce, Looker or Tableau, a plus.
- Outstanding communication skills, with the ability to produce clear and succinct recommendations supported by rigorous analysis.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail while also considering bigger picture questions.
- Ability to interact effectively with people of other cultures, capacities, and organizations.
- Ability to build relationships, influence others, manage complex problems, and successfully lead projects in a cross-functional environment.
- Autonomous, entrepreneurial, and self-motivated. Effective while working remotely.
- Fluency in English required; fluency in Spanish (and/or French, Portuguese, or Russian) a plus.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, parental leave, professional development, 401k matching, generous PTO, and more.
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
- U.S only salary range for Risk Manager/Sr. : U.S. $94K - $110K; a final offer will be dependent upon a candidate’s location, skills and experience.
- Colombia salary $55K-65K; a final offer will be dependent upon a candidate’s location, skills and experience.
- Mexico salary $55K-65K; a final offer will be dependent upon a candidate’s location, skills and experience.
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.
Sign up to connect with companies that trust you to work wherever you work best.Register Now, be first in line
Sign up for our weekly remote work round-up newsletter and have new openings from companies that care delivered right to your inbox.