At the NBA, we’re passionate about growing and celebrating the game of basketball. Through the intensity of the game and the amazing athletic skill of our players, we deliver excitement to hundreds of millions of fans around the world.
As a global sports and media business, the NBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league’s on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world’s most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of NBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the NBA’s success.
NBA Asia is seeking a versatile, strategic, and experienced Distribution Head to drive monetization across its portfolio of media,content and direct-to-consumer assets in the Asia Pacific (ex Greater China) region. The position requires an ambitious and driven sales and business development executive who will play a key role in developing the NBA’s next phase of growth including distribution expansion across all platforms, partnership renewals and new business.
The role is based in Hong Kong or Singapore.
- Develop and implement commercial strategies consistent with NBA Asia’s Objectives & Key Results to accelerate growth in the region.
- Serve as the lead negotiator and deal architect for the media and DTC partnerships functions balancing short and long term priorities.
- Maximize revenue and reach opportunities for the League’s distribution portfolio including the NBA, WNBA, G-League, BAL and NBA2K leagues.
- Scale the NBA’s DTC platform, NBA League Pass, across APAC through strategic planning including partnerships, pricing and packaging, platform integrations and product enhancements.
- Lead the media distribution and League Pass teams providing direction, motivation and accountability towards reaching their targets and in their career development.
- Leverage proprietary data analytics, market research, media intelligence and financial analysis to form sophisticated and insight driven licensing and DTC strategies and tactics.
- Nurture external partner, prospect and industry relationships through superior networking and ambassadorship.
- Coordinate and collaborate with internal stakeholders such as Legal, Finance, Strategy, Global Partnerships, Marketing and New York HQ to ensure teams and disperse business units are aligned, efficient and focused on common outcomes.
- Cogently articulate local strategies in a global context to US and international stakeholders.
- Be an active member of and contributor to NBA Asia’s Senior Leadership Team contributing to the strategic planning and execution of the League’s various business and human capital growth plans.
- Lead and inspire NBA Asia’s content and DTC distribution across linear and digital platforms during a period of transformation and disruption.
- 15+ years of work experience in broadcast, streaming, distribution, partnerships and/or related field.
- Excellent commercial skills including the ability to forecast, budget and present annual and quarterly sales plans.
- An avid consumer of content (being a sports fan is not a pre-requisite but having a passion for content and entertainment is a must).
- Exceptional verbal, written communication, and analytical talents.
- Proven history in media rights sales and monetizing content through licensing negotiations and formation of partnerships that drive value.
- Familiarity and comfort with DTC streaming products and partnerships
- Prior employment at a major studio, broadcaster, or sports federation ideal.
- Career to date delivering solutions across multiple platforms including but not limited to broadcast (TV), digital (OTT) and SVOD (DTC).
- Comfortable working in and leading cross-functional working groups (Finance, Strategy, Legal, Marketing, Content, New York HQ) with a commercial outcome in mind.
- An established network in the international and Asia Pacific media/entertainment/ technology/sports communities.
- A relentless commitment to achieve in the face of massive industry change, internal complexity, and global political, economic, and social uncertainty.
- Inspirational attitude with the ability to create and lead a high performing team.
- A willingness to travel extensively and lead a geographically disperse team supporting a wide range of partners across Asia Pacific.
- Bachelor's degree a must; Master's degree preferred.