Working at Atlassian
Atlassians can choose where they work – whether in an office, from home, or a combination of the two. That way, Atlassians have more control over supporting their family, personal goals, and other priorities. We can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
We're hiring a Senior Principal Engineer reporting to the Head of Tenant Platform, this role is fully remote but requires you to be located in Australia or New Zealand timezones.
Tenant Platform is the "glue" layer for multi-tenancy in all of Atlassian products and platforms, among the most critical systems in the company. We centralise tenant state and management for Atlassian products, which uses our platform infrastructure to serve customer requests.
The function of our 25+ back-end platform services includes lifecycle and state orchestration on tenants and products, high-performance tenant metadata distribution, shard and datastore routing, shard capacity management and migration, and runtime operations on tenants.
This is a technical leadership architecture role. You'll join our leadership squad, guide other architects and principal developers, and partner with engineering managers, technical program managers, and at least 12 teams of engineers.
You'll help scale and platformise these services to support more customers, more products and more engineering teams consuming them, at different scales and traffic patterns. We're designing a self-service adoption, integration and testing strategy as part of a wider Tenant Platform, and working out data models and schema evolution that can be maintained across multiple teams.What you'll do:
- Form long-term plans anticipating future needs and gaps, and keep us well aligned technically in this complex area.
- Lead efforts across our engineering teams to create cross-cutting architecture strategy in alignment with Atlassian products and platform services.
- Apply your expertise in architecting highly scalable and performant cloud-native services in guiding teams facing complex technical challenges.
- Ensure that the highest level of technical excellence and engineering health is maintained across our systems.
- Early engagement, strategy, technical decision-making and delegation on new incoming topics.
- Mentor and uplevel developers and architects across the team.
- Deep dive and work closely with dev teams when needed to resolve critical challenges.
- Work with architects across Atlassian to align technical strategies and understand the needs of our platform consumers.
- You'll own and work at the intersection of architecture/technical strategy, specific projects, and organisation strategy - you'll drive the technical aspects, and be a decision partner with engineering managers and project leads.
- 10+ years of platform engineering and architecture experience. You've been deep in technical design and strategy for systems that operate as a platform for other people to use.
- You've built and operated scalable, performant, highly robust systems. You have experience with distributed systems concepts like scaling, consistency and availability tradeoffs. You think in system design, and are comfortable getting into the details.
- You see the interactions between technical decisions, people, and processes on a long timescale. Past management experience would help you with this but isn't essential. You can apply platform thinking to focus on efficient usability by our internal customers, and how we can support many more consumers, and how we work with people at different levels of knowledge and skill.
- Architect-level AWS knowledge (e.g. Dynamo, SQS/SNS, S3, RDS) or similar experience with other public cloud offerings (e.g. Google, Azure) and some great stories about challenges in designing for cloud platforms.
- Although specific language skills are not required as you will be more focused on technical strategy, you are comfortable engaging with teams at the code level.
Our perks & benefits
Atlassian offers a variety of perks and benefits to support you, your family and to help you engage with your local community. Our offerings include health coverage, paid volunteer days, wellness resources, and so much more. Visit go.atlassian.com/perksandbenefits to learn more.
At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team. Our software products help teams all over the planet and our solutions are designed for all types of work. Team collaboration through our tools makes what may be impossible alone, possible together.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To provide you the best experience, we can support with accommodations or adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process. Simply inform our Recruitment team during your conversation with them.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, visit go.atlassian.com/crh.
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on PowerToFly. Let us know if this job is closed.
We're connecting diverse talent to big career moves. Meeting people who boost your career is hard - yet networking is key to growth and economic empowerment. We’re here to support you - within your current workplace or somewhere new. Upskill, join daily virtual events, apply to roles (it’s free!).
Are you hiring? Join our platform for diversifiying your team