Are you looking for a company that empowers talent?
Here at Siemens, we take pride in enabling sustainable progress through technology. We do this through empowering customers by combining the real and digital worlds. Improving how we live, work, and move today and for the next generation!
As a Power Systems Software Engineer with Siemens Grid Software, you will join the team that maintains and enhances our PSS®E product. You will be responsible for maintaining and developing new analysis and modeling components of the PSS® software platform along with other product team members. This position requires detailed knowledge of power systems algorithms, specifically, as well as broad experience with mathematical programming, software engineering, test plans, test implementation, and software delivery. The team is based in Schenectady, NY.
It's your role, here's the part you can play:
- Create mathematical algorithms for power systems simulation. This includes engineering design of power systems models as well as implementation and testing. Implementation will most likely be done in Fortran but the candidate is expected to have the ability to adapt if another programming language is chosen. Design ranges from a symbolic algebra to algorithm to documenting the model.
- Apply knowledge of object-oriented programming, functional programming, and other techniques to accelerate the process of modeling power systems simulations.
- Work with the PTI software development team on designing, developing, and testing and documenting the software.
- Maintain and develop components of the PTI PSS® software platform under the direction of the product manager and product owner.
- Create robust tests to assess performance, correctness, and usability of the software.
- Provide estimates and analysis of tasks required for development, and actively participate in development status reviews.
- Develop software according to modern methodologies such as the Scaled Agile Framework, including the use of tools such as Jira, Confluence, and Git.
- Stay abreast of new developments in power system analysis, modeling, and optimization.
You will make impact if you have the following qualifications:
- Masters in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with emphasis on Power Systems, preferably a Ph.D. or equivalent work or research experience, with strong abilities in power systems software development.
- 3+ years of work experience with current power system analysis methodologies and the ability to research, investigate, and apply new and complex modeling and analysis techniques.
- Experience developing in C/C++ or Fortran, particularly in the Microsoft Visual Studio environment.
- Familiarity with power systems simulation techniques and how to model equipment.
- Knowledge of power system modeling, power flow solutions and contingency analysis.
- Knowledge of control engineering.
- Proficiency in the modeling of power system components.
- Prior experience with creating simulation models for power system components is a plus.
- Experience using PSS®E in a Utility or National Laboratory is a plus: this is your opportunity to change from being a user of the software to guiding the development of the software.
- Ability to travel up to 10%.
Other qualifications that will help you succeed:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills - written and verbal.
- Strong organization skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks at one time.
- Team player, customer focused with good interpersonal skills, positive and energetic attitude.
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
We've got a lot to offer:
- An opportunity to work with innovative and modern technologies - products and services in the field of electrification, automation, and digitalization
- Competitive compensation (salary and bonus based on qualifications)
- Health, dental, and vision plans with options
- Matching 401(k)
- Unlimited Flexible Time Off
- Paid parental leave
- Extensive product training and professional career development
- Education and tuition reimbursement programs available
- Siemens is recognized as being a top employer for diversity, sustainability, innovation, and technology. Check out this link
Find out how Siemens Grid Software is decoding the future of energy and what part you can play: https://sie.ag/DecodingTheFutureOfEnergy
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.