Are you ready to design/develop gas chromatography analyses on a process gas chromatograph? Siemens Industry, Inc's Gas Chromatographs, and Integration (GCI) Business Unit has an immediate opening for a mid-level Fastlane Methods Development Chemist. This position is manufacturing based, and is located in Houston, TX near Jersey Village.
This role is within the Standards Development department within GCI which develops and defines gas chromatograph (GC) parameters necessary to separate chemical compositions per customer measurement requirements through process gas chromatographic techniques utilizing the Maxum II Process Gas Chromatograph platform.
The successful candidate will apply themselves to determine the analytical hardware and operating conditions required to accomplish the customer's requested analysis through gas chromatographic methodologies such as parallel chromatography.
This role will interact with process GC other method development chemists, project, and system integration engineers in addition to GC Final Test technicians on a routine basis while reporting directly to the Global Head of Standards.
The successful candidate will possess, as a minimum, the requirements listed below in the Knowledge/Skills section which are necessary to provide process gas chromatographic solutions to meet customer requirements as well as be comfortable in working in a team environment. The chemist will collaborate with team engineers to develop production drawings and new analytical methods as needed. Method development will consist of in part, determining appropriate gas chromatographic column combinations while optimizing parameters such as carrier flows and application temperatures through experimentation. Associated tasks are at a minimum:
- Compliance with on job safety requirements
- Mix chemicals to generate gas chromatograph test mixtures
- Review customer specifications and applicable quotes
- Data entry of analyzer configurations into engineering design systems
- Development of process gas chromatographic partially standardized solutions
- Development of process gas chromatographic standardized solutions
- Implementation of Lean practices including 6S
- Assist in standardization of work processes
- Implementation of standardized GC applications
- Requisition of project specific hardware
- Specify chromatographic designs for production orders
- Interface with internal/external customers
- Testing of standardized solutions in a production environment
- Technical support of test technicians during manufacturing
- Creation and implementation of automated software for configuration and testing.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry (focus on Analytical skills)
- Experience of demonstrated proficiency with gas and/or liquid chromatography method development (2-4yrs)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel
- Working proficiency with Concepts of Dilution
- Detail Oriented
- Fluent and effective English communication skills including technical writing
- Strong technical skills
- Use of laboratory Personal Protective Equipment (1+yrs)
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Experience of demonstrated proficiency with multidimensional chromatography theory and method development implementation (2-4yrs)
- Hands-on experience with Process Gas Chromatographs (PGC) (1+yr)
- Experience with Visual Basic (or equivalent) and database concepts (1+yr)
- Knowledge of Lean/6S practices (1+yr)
- Familiarity with SAP (1+yr)
Job Family Responsibilities:
Completes a wide variety of technical assignments of intermediate complexity. Performs tests or investigations pertaining to the development of new designs, methods, materials, or processes and investigates possible application of results. Obtains, correlates, and analyzes technical information needed to accomplish tasks. Completes the preparation of reports, charts, graphs, and other documents and advises senior staff. Reviews and approves related inputs such as drawings and specifications prepared by technical support personnel. Assists in developing designs for a variety of products, processes, and components.
Knowledge and Experience:
Demonstrates an enhanced knowledge of professional principles and skills. Effectively uses fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of particular area of specialization. Typically 2-4 years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of Key Responsibilities and Knowledge as presented above. Advanced degree MAY be substituted for experience, where applicable.
Direction of Others:
Provide general guidance or train support and/or professional staff.
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Full / Part time: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.