- Experience with the Android platform and ecosystem.
- Candidates will typically have 5 years of experience with software development in one or more programming languages, and with data structures/algorithms.
- Experience as a technical leader, leading project teams, and setting technical direction.
- Experience with coding in data structures, algorithms and software design.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a similar technical field, or equivalent pratical experience.
The Android Growth team focuses on entry-to-mid-tier Android smartphones globally to enable affordable devices and create delightful experiences that are locally relevant. Our mission is to accelerate the transition from feature phones to smartphones and bring the best of Google’s products to delight Android users. We also aim to accelerate business growth for Android Partners (e.g., OEMs, Telcos, Retailers) and content creators (e.g., app, games, books).As a Senior Software Engineer, you will help solve difficult and important technical challenges, such as improving the smartphone experience for entry-to-mid tier Android devices. In this role, you will create ideas for how we can serve relevant and useful information to users, and set goals for how to re-imagine the entire online experience. You will help build Android, Google Play products, and collaborate with teams such as Search, Assistant, YouTube, and Payments to create an all-encompassing experience. The role is part of our Africa Development Center.
Android is Google’s open-source mobile operating system powering more than 3 billion devices worldwide. Android is about bringing computing to everyone in the world. We believe computing is a super power for good, enabling access to information, economic opportunity, productivity, connectivity between friends and family and more. We think everyone in the world should have access to the best computing has to offer. We provide the platform for original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and developers to build compelling computing devices (smartphones, tablets, TVs, wearables, etc) that run the best apps/services for everyone in the world.
- Build applications and experiences that will make it more customized for entry-to-mid-tier Android devices globally.
- Participate in the software feature life cycle from start to end and collaborate with other Engineers, Product Managers, and User Experience Designers and Researchers who will work with you to develop the user experience.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software solutions.
- Review code written by other engineers and provide feedback to ensure best practices (e.g., style guidelines, checking code in, accuracy, testability, and efficiency).
- Participate in, or lead design reviews with peers and stakeholders to decide on the optimal solution