Working at Atlassian
Atlassians can choose where they work – whether in an office, from home, or a combination of the two. That way, Atlassians have more control over supporting their family, personal goals, and other priorities. We can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Our office is in Bengaluru, but we offer flexibility for eligible candidates to work remotely across India. Whatever your preference—working from home, an office, or in between— you can choose the place that's best for your work and your lifestyle.
What's the principal engineer role?
As an Engineer well into your career, we know you're an expert at what you do and have a breadth of experience across multiple backend technologies. You take pride in being someone who more junior members look up to and sharing your expertise with others... That's why we're placing a heavy emphasis on leaning on your expertise to take responsibility while being a role model and mentor to others on the team.
About the team
Search Platform powers the search functionality in Atlassian products. The team is tasked with the mission to provide reliable Infrastructure, a consistent user experience while improving the accuracy of results. As Atlassian client base grows in number and content volume for clients grow, search is becoming an ever exciting and challenging engineering domain.In this role, you'll get the chance to:
- Handle complex problems in the team from technical design to launch
- Determine plans-of-attack on large projects
- Solve complex architecture challenges and apply architectural standards and start using them on new projects
- Lead code reviews & documentation and take on complex bug fixes, especially on high-risk problems
- Set the standard for meaningful code reviews
- Partner across engineering teams to take on company-wide programmes in multiple projects
- Transfer your depth of knowledge from your current language to excel as a Software Engineer
- Mentor junior members of the team
- 10+ years experience in multiple hands-on software/technology leadership roles, with end-to-end responsibility through the software development lifecycle
- Bachelor's degree with a preference for Computer Science degree
- Expertise with one or more prominent languages such as Java, Python, Kotlin, Go, or TypeScript is required.
- Understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS industry with hands-on experience with public cloud offerings (e.g., AWS, GCP, or Azure)
- Java, Spring, REST, and NoSQL databases
- Experience building event-driven based on SQS, SNS, Kafka or equivalent technologies
- Knowledge to evaluate trade-offs between correctness, robustness, performance, space and time
- Practice in mentoring other engineers and influencing decision makers throughout the organisation
- Consider the customer impact when making technical decisions
- Experience in ElasticSearch, OpenSearch or other search engine technologies
- Experience in Developer Experience or Developer Productivity
- Proficiency in Java
- Experience in at least one additional language
- Experience in CI (Continuous Integration) and CD (Continuous Deployment)
Our perks & benefits
Atlassian offers a variety of perks and benefits to support you, your family and to help you engage with your local community. Our offerings include health coverage, paid volunteer days, wellness resources, and so much more. Visit go.atlassian.com/perksandbenefits to learn more.
At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team. Our software products help teams all over the planet and our solutions are designed for all types of work. Team collaboration through our tools makes what may be impossible alone, possible together.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To provide you the best experience, we can support with accommodations or adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process. Simply inform our Recruitment team during your conversation with them.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, visit go.atlassian.com/crh.
Help us maintain the quality of jobs posted on PowerToFly. Let us know if this job is closed.
We're connecting diverse talent to big career moves. Meeting people who boost your career is hard - yet networking is key to growth and economic empowerment. We’re here to support you - within your current workplace or somewhere new. Upskill, join daily virtual events, apply to roles (it’s free!).
Are you hiring? Join our platform for diversifiying your team