Do you want to be at the forefront of devices innovation at Microsoft? Do you have a passion to deliver new technology to customers? Are you seeking a unique career opportunity that combines both technical capabilities, as well as business insight? The Strategic Sourcing Group at Microsoft is seeking a driven Sr. Director of Strategic Sourcing to drive impact and deliver results in the world of Microsoft Devices. The Strategic Sourcing Group is responsible for all direct materials and supply chain services sourcing for our first party hardware devices. We develop partnerships with our internal hardware and software engineering and development teams and our third party external suppliers to deliver high-quality products that delight our customers and deliver a fantastic Windows experience.
This position will focus on leading one of the most strategic categories in Sourcing. This will include managing a Redmond based team of sourcing professionals, owning supplier and partner relationships, defining the category and supply base strategy, management and negotiation of Product Supply Agreements and related contractual execution activities. An ideal candidate will have high ambition to grow with Microsoft. You must be a high energy/impact individual with a demonstrated ability to succeed in a high-demand and stressful environment. Demonstrated ability to successfully navigate through ambiguities/difficult obstacles through facts, evaluation of alternatives, open-mindedness, thought-through strategy, and superior communications to lead cross-functional organizations through sourcing activities will be required.
The Manufacturing and Strategic Sourcing organization is looking for a Senior Director of Strategic Sourcing to lead on the following responsibilities:
- Lead and manage a strategic Microsoft Devices’ Sourcing team and own the engagements with the C-Level executives at Microsoft's strategic suppliers and partners. This includes ownership of all partnerships and sourcing portfolio that support Microsoft's 40M annual branded devices: Xbox, Surface and Hololens.
- Responsibilities include establishing and executing market leading sourcing category and supply base strategies in various categories via full market knowledge, supplier rationalization, predictable and industry leading commodity pricing plan, and total cost of ownership (TCO) cost modeling through transparent supplier relationship management.
- Full ownership of all category and innovation strategies, leading 5-year technology portfolio decisions, partner selection and business negotiations.
- Partner and work with a cross functional team to drive the supplier selection process and component qualification both under strict engineering and commercial best practices/disciplines.
- Deliver most aggressive and closest-to-the-pin costing and budget (capex) projections, with the ability to standup to the most aggressive alternatives, doubts, and scrutiny.
- Accountability for securing components and/or services in the above category that will provide competitive advantage in both technology and cost for Microsoft.
- Achieve established commitments on total cost results, supply, quality and compliance adherence, and on-time delivery.
In this role you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, Supply Chain Management, Operations or Business is required. MBA degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in supply chain, sourcing, manufacturing or business-related positions. Professional knowledge and experience in EE and memory components supply chain and cost structure will be an advantage.
- 7+ years of experience in product or process definition, having taken a product or process from concept to execution.
- Superior program management adherence experiences in the consumer electronics market, in factory experience preferred.
- Expertise in market analysis to dissect market size, players, customers, growth, technology replacements/forecasts, pricing trends, etc., to formulate sourcing strategies.
- Deliver best in class total cost of ownership (TCO), continuity of supply (COS), and business relationship management; passionate about opportunities to establish new approach to sourcing.
- Expertise in financial statement analysis to derive should-cost models and cost competitiveness/financial strengths of suppliers before RFx is conducted.
- Relentless drive to overachieve and no-excuses professional, making the most of resources available, and a team player who can roll-up her/his sleeves to get the job done.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically but detailed oriented to support ideology with facts.
- Ability to articulate points of view with executive management but execute plans when directed.
- Quick learner of Microsoft systems and processes.
- Ability to travel extensively.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.