The Microsoft Threat Intelligence Center (MSTIC), a part of Cloud & AI, is looking for a seasoned threat intelligence analyst to help build and drive our threat intelligence operations in the Washington, DC area. MSTIC is responsible for delivering timely threat intelligence across our product & services teams, assist with our engineering response to security issues/incidents, and assists with government policy outreach for the company.
In this role you be responsible for identifying and tracking sophisticated adversaries. Successful applicants meet these requirements:
- In-depth technical knowledge of adversary capabilities, infrastructure, and techniques that can be applied to define, develop, and implement the techniques both to discovery and track the adversaries of today and identify the attacks of tomorrow.
- Proven ability to build strategic relationships with key threat intelligence partners in government and industry.
You will be persuasive in getting buy-in for your ideas both within the Microsoft Threat Intelligence Center and from key engineering groups across Microsoft, working in partnership with them to protect both Microsoft assets and also Microsoft's wider customer base through improved product and services offerings.
You will strengthen existing partnerships and build new ones with key organizations deliver benefit to Microsoft and its customers.
- Must be a US citizen
- Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
- Domestic and international travel will be required, estimated to be less than 30%.
- Applied knowledge of adversary phases of operation- particularly how to work across the phases in order to uncover new intelligence.
- +4 years producing actionable threat intelligence on targeted and advanced persistent adversaries enabling network and host defenses in external organizations with demonstrable impact.
- Tracked at least four distinct APT adversaries over a period of at least one year ascertaining and characterizing various TTPs, capabilities, infrastructure, and campaigns.
- Applied knowledge across all critical elements and common data types used in threat intelligence analysis, including: malware used in targeted adversary campaigns; and host and log forensics including methods of data collection and analytic techniques; and network forensics including common protocols and how those are used in adversary operations
- Applied knowledge of a variety of adversary command and control methods and protocols
- +3 years supporting incident response and deeply familiar with common incident response procedures, processes, and tools
- +6 years of experience leading analysis by working with at least one of the following:
- (1) analyzing network data across the various protocol layers and an applied understanding of a range of application/transport/network protocols; or
- (2) analyzing sophisticated malware samples used in targeted attacks against large corporate or government entities; or
- (3) analyzing host forensic and log data associated with advanced targeted adversaries
- +4 years working with a variety of external partners working on sensitive threat intelligence issues
Additional Preferred skills:
- +2 years working with products and services to improve security for customers
- +3 years working with both strategic and tactical threat intelligence customers and evaluating their requirements
- +2 years of experience correlating across very large and diverse datasets (HDInsight / Hadoop)+2 years working with SQL-based databases
- +3 years of experience of development involving extraction/manipulation/summarization of network data.
- +3 years of experience working closely with threat intelligence analysts to understand their workflow and analytic problems and turning those into large-scale analytics
- +2 years of experience working within a diverse organization to gain support for your ideas
- Reverse-engineering & binary analysis.
- Windows internals - especially in the areas of event management and networking (sockets/RPC/named pipes)
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills (adaptability, inclusiveness, optimism, curiosity, empathy, courage, respect) which support the development of high functioning teams
- Demonstrated capability to coherently present potentially sensitive threat intelligence to a wide variety of audiences in public forums.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.