We believe that design is a core differentiator when it comes to amazing products, and are looking for a designer that is as passionate about usability and experience as they are about aesthetics and beautiful UI.
The Role: In this role, you’ll collaborate with product managers, data scientists, engineers and business development professions to create user flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes for Morning Consult’s wide array of digital products – from our data-rich analysis platform to internal tools. You will participate in user testing and continually iterate on your ideas in order to conceptualize original designs that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design challenges. You will empathize with the end user to create functional, pragmatic solutions.
Success in this role requires a spirit of collaboration, clear and adaptive communication skills. Ideal candidates will thrive in fast-paced, ambiguous start-up environment in which you’re empowered to think creatively, take expansive ownership, and implement processes where they make sense.
As an early member of the Product team at Morning Consult, those in this role will not only have significant opportunities to shape the structure and processes of the team, but also the overall growth and culture of our rapidly scaling pre-Series A startup.
- Develop thorough understanding of user needs and behaviors within given industries (via conversations across internal MC teams, as well as through participating in user research)
- Clearly and quickly deliver ideas to cross-functional teams, both verbally and visually through flows, wireframes and mockups.
- Participate in design critiques
- Collaborate with engineering teams to bring concepts to life while maintaining UX best practices
- Work with UX Director and UX Researchers to design and administer validation/usability tests; help translate findings into usable, effective experiences
- Iterate rapidly against shifting priorities, demands and timelines; Prioritize and track multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Work with UX Director, engineering team, and other designers to design, build and maintain a design system and pattern library
- Creative, curious, questioning, analytical; possesses strong creative problem-solving skills
- Open to taking and providing critique; takes ownership of work
- Highly attentive to detail
- Has a strong understanding of design principles and their application
- Ethos of continuous self-improvement: Actively works to become more fluent in best practices for information architecture and interaction design, user-centered design process, prototyping, and UX principles and techniques
- Familiarity with user interface patterns for customer-facing web applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present a strong rationale for design decisions.
- Ability to work closely with engineering staff to understand technical limitations and design solutions that meet users needs even with tight constraints
- Online portfolio and work samples including user-centered design skills, visualizations of complex experiences such as flows, scenarios, personas, etc. (any fidelity), sketches to mid-fidelity interactions (show your process) and clickable prototypes (any fidelity)
- 2-3 years of experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar UX-related role
- BA/BS degree or equivalent
- Well-versed in Sketch, Invision, and Illustrator