Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
TECHNOLOGY/ROLE/DEPARTMENT AT MORGAN STANLEY
Technology is the key differentiator that ensures that we manage our global businesses and serve clients on a market-leading platform that is resilient, safe, efficient, smart, fast and flexible. Technology redefines how we do business in global, complex and dynamic financial markets. We have a large number of award winning technology platforms that help to propel our Firm’s businesses to be the top in the market. Our India technology teams are based in Mumbai and Bengaluru. We have built strong techno-functional teams which partner with our offices globally taking global ownership of systems and products. We have a vibrant and diverse mix of technologists working on different technologies and functional domains. There is a large focus on innovation, inclusion, giving back to the community and sharing knowledge.Institutional Securities Tech (IST) is a global team, which develops enterprise systems in support of Morgan Stanley's Institutional Securities Group, including Equities, Fixed Income, Commodities, Investment Banking, Research, and Global Capital Markets. The Equity Sales, Trading and Risk (ESTAR) group within IST provides technology solutions focused around the Equity Derivatives Business. This role is within the Derivatives Trade Capture Practice Area with the key focus on implementing trade capture and trade lifecycle management applications for our traders and their support teams.
Morgan Stanley's Equity Derivatives Business is continuing a program to build on the strategic global processing platform for vanilla and exotic OTC equity derivatives and structured notes, in order to support the continued expansion in product range and volume. This encompasses pre-trade pricing, workflow, trade capture, lifecycle, affirmation, confirmation, collateral management and settlement.
The system is a complex distributed global platform with a rich C# (WPF) user interface, communicating with a backend primarily written in Scala and Java. Additionally, HTML5 is used for new UI components. It has the enviable position of being central to much of the Firms OTC client-focused sales and trading activity, both as an application in its own right and also as a service hub for many of the other systems supporting the key OTC and securitized business flows.
This is a Java/Scala lead and development position, at the Vice President level. The candidate should possess a successful track record of key skills including: leadership, business analysis, software engineering, and logical problem solving. These skills are crucial as the role entails liaising with demanding stakeholders to understand complex requirements, and to prioritize work under pressure with minimal supervision in a highly dynamic environment. The candidate should bring positivity and enthusiasm in their engagements with colleagues to foster inclusivity and a positive working environment for all.
The team and role is ideal for someone looking for a strong career development path with many opportunities to grow, learn and develop. Additionally, Morgan Stanley prides itself on internal mobility for its employees to maximize their career potential and broader impact to the organization.
JOB DESCRIPTIONTotal Experience: 7 to 11 years
The ideal candidate should have:
* A minimum of 2 years of experience in a technical leadership role overseeing 4 or more developers
* A minimum of 7 years of experience in Core Java/Server side application development
* Expertise in Java, RDBMS, and Unix.
* Practical experience in the Agile development methodology.
* A solid understanding of object oriented design practices and ability to apply design practices to real business problems.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* A self-starter mindset with strong leadership skills and team-oriented goals
* A keen interest in learning the business and applying new and existing technologies to solve business challenges, increase revenue, and reduce operational risk
* Previous Equity Derivative or financial product knowledge is not required but is a big plus.
- Java (8), Scala (2.11)
- Good understanding of database modelling and SQL
- Extensive use of open source, including Spring, Gradle, Akka, Guava, Apache CXF, Commons and Zookeeper
- Globally distributed n-tier platform deployed across Tokyo, Hong Kong, London and New York
- Utilization of the latest Firm technologies including Treadmill PaaS, Splunk-based LaaS and Service Discovery
- Hands-on experience in Java or Scala
- A Bachelors or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Openness to learn new technologies
- Ability to pick up new skills quickly and a desire to work in a financial business.
- Exposure to agile development practices including TDD, continuous integration and SCRUM.
- Some Python experience.
- Functional programming experience.
- Knowledge of financial products.