Senior Data Scientist
Location: Round Rock, TX
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities.
Come join our world-class in-house Legal team!
We are looking for a passionate Data Scientist to turn data into information, information into insight and insight into enablement of business decisions. Responsibilities include conducting a full lifecycle of activities from scoping business needs, designing metrics, developing analysis and reporting capabilities, perform continuous monitoring of operational areas to identify improvements and liaising cross functionally to enhance our BI architecture in providing long term and scalable solutions to support the Legal function.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs data mining using advanced data analytical techniques to identify performance patterns and trends
- Designs and develops advanced analytical data mining/machine learning algorithms and predictive models
- Provides analytical consultation, predictive modeling, and solutions to achieve business goals and objectives
- Researches, designs, develops, implements, and supports decision science models
- Performs exploratory data analysis to find fraud patterns and trends in business applications
- Represents Legal in BI Council discussions and partners cross-functionally with Dell IT and analytics teams to identify and acquire data and maintain databases where necessary
- Builds out a BI infrastructure to support reporting and metrics solutions for long term sustainability and understands how reporting software and solutions integrate into the Dell IT environment
- Evaluates current state, understands the business problem and identifies how data can provide possible solutions to address
- Transforms data and insights into effective visualizations for executive presentations
- Clearly communicates and articulates insights to key stakeholders through data visualizations, written and oral presentations; translates data into a story that can be easily consumed by both technical and non-technical audiences
- Works closely with Legal teams / management to understand and prioritize business and information needs; understands the business problem and makes recommendations on how to use the data to solve
- Builds relationships to educate lawyers around BI and drive change management
- Utilizes the latest data analysis methods and technology platforms available
- Liaises and partners with stakeholders across Legal in understanding landscape and key priorities to be able to assess where reporting, analytics and metrics can influence decision-making and enable Legal to support the business
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, Computer Science or related field with 12+ years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree with 8+ years relevant experience; or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience with predictive modelling and analytics
- Strong mathematical and statistical ability, along with a proven ability to solve complex business problems with effective solutions
- Business-applicable experience in several techniques for data visualization skills (e.g. Tableau)
- Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Working knowledge of basic statistical languages; experience with R, Python, SAS, SPSS, etc.
- Passion for problem solving and developing new solutions quickly
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to tell a story with data, synthesizing the message down to the key important issues/highlights and able to explain in layman’s terms to non-technical audience
- Comfortable with relational databases, Hadoop and SQL-based data mining frameworks
- Strong understanding in the application of statistical techniques, tests, distributions, maximum likelihood measures to design and evaluate experiments to enable data-driven decision making
- Experience in setting up predictive performance, analytics models and algorithms
- Ability to deal with data imperfections where data is incomplete or inaccurate
- Proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint
Preferred/Nice to Have:
- Advanced degree in statistics, applied mathematics, economics, or related quantitative fields
- Experience with analytics for Legal departments is desirable but not required
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
Dell is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Dell are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Dell will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Learn more about Diversity and Inclusion at Dell here.