The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for leading the department's development, implementation, and evaluation of marketing strategies, aligning communication needs and opportunities, and building brand awareness and marketplace positioning for the Council. The Director bears primary responsibility for devising and developing an annual marketing and communications plan and budget that will positively advance the organization's mission and strategic vision. This plan includes both internal and external stakeholders. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director is responsible for the creative content and brand management and supervise marketing team to drive engagement, interest, and influence in support of the Council's strategic plan, which articulates a positive public image that encourages support, attracts potential members and donors, and effectively communicates with media and other key stakeholders.
The Director creates, implements, and manages the organization's brand strategy which includes but is not limited to the following: marketing campaigns that enhance fundraising efforts and product program results; building Movement awareness and increasing membership; developing multi-faceted communications strategies to effectively connect with donors, girl and volunteer members, community collaborators, and the general public; oversee logistical management and brand footprint for events; and help shape the public's perception of Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles (GSGLA) through public relations strategies. The Director provides progressive leadership and develops team members and takes responsibility for department performance. The Director serves as part of the Senior Management Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Content Strategy: Oversee a team of creative professionals to create content and communications including strategy, sourcing, writing, digital and video storytelling.
- Manage and refine the execution and distribution of internal communication to the membership, staff, and Board of Directors.
- Manage and refine the execution and distribution of external communication to media, the public, alumnae and friends, donors, governmental and community organizations.
- Support CEO communications.
- Manage the creation of publications, electronic communications, online presence (website, micro-sites, and social media channels) and marketing collateral.
- Oversee graphic designer Establish, refine, and manage internal communications network.
- Oversee video and film production.
- Provide strategic counsel to board and executive leadership, and provide support for key executives in preparing appropriate messaging for all audiences.
- Marketing: Develop, analyze, optimize, and manage the tactical execution of marketing campaigns with the purpose of generating revenue and raising awareness.
- Translate organization's annual objectives into marketing strategies that support the success of the following departments: fundraising, membership, program, product program, and properties.
- Oversee the development of dynamic promotional materials including print, web, video, digital, and marketing collateral.
- Lead the development of cross-department campaigns that lift brand awareness and create Movement synergy.
- Provide expert strategic direction and feedback to internal partners, ensuring best practices for marketing, communications, and media opportunities are followed.
- Ensure GSGLA departments adhere to Girl Scouts USA (GSUSA) marketing and communications guidelines in all department-produced materials. Approve all externally facing (non-volunteer) collateral.
- Lead the development and manage the execution of advertising, media, event, and product program campaigns and promotions.
- Manage the brand image and reputation of the institution by maintaining and enforcing graphics and brand standards.
- Make recommendations for changes to investment and marketing strategy based on analyses and evaluate the efficiency of marketing spending and making budgeting recommendations to optimize growth.
Public and Media Relations: Oversee the development of GSGLA's public relations activities.
- Support public relations efforts, including entails breaking-news management and proactive news planning/pitching.
- Manage long-range planning to strategically position stories based on analysis of external publications and media focus, calendars, and opportunities.
- Align public relations calendar with the marketing and communications plan.
- Oversee the maintenance of a media database and corporate marketing contact database.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media outlets and contacts.
- Serve as a lead for press and public inquiries, media spokesperson, and crisis communication.
- Collaborate with GSUSA's national team to ensure high value opportunities receive the appropriate attention and resources Movement-wide.
Special Events: Support the management of council-wide special events as defined/identified by the Senior Management Team.
- Support special events on all logistical responsibilities of large-scale events. This may include hiring and managing outside vendors.
- Partner with departments to manage all brand awareness opportunities and Movement alignment specifications.
- Oversee the production of marketing materials, invitations, program (written/verbal), script/speeches, presentations (PPT), website, social marketing, press releases and other vehicles to promote the event.
- Author executive speeches.
Skill, Experience & Education
A minimum of 7-10 years of directly related, progressively responsible work experience with a proven record of leadership including management of marketing staff/team (minimum 5 years), solid working knowledge of website development and social media, successful cultivation and solicitation of media sponsorships, and a demonstrated working knowledge of all areas of marketing and communications.
Other skills and qualifications:
- Exemplary written / verbal communication skills are required including presentation and negotiation.
- Great time management and the ability to meet deadlines while handling multiple projects.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proven marketing principles, best practices, and models through ability to articulate pros and cons of each and succinctly advocate for a preferred solution that benefits the Movement and the brand.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a team and deal effectively and persuasively with all levels of the organization, including volunteer leadership, senior management, and staff.
- High degree of organizational, analytical and project management skills, ability to anticipate risks, set and achieve goals and a creative approach to problem solving and having a good sense of humor.
- Strong inter-personal skills: motivational ability to foster collaborative teamwork, demonstrated tact and diplomacy in difficult or sensitive situations and ability to perform under pressure in a rapidly changing and multidimensional environment.
- Proficiency with Outlook and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), is necessary. Experience with web, social media and Adobe software including InDesign and Photoshop or similar software and technologies is preferred.
- A strong foundation in budgeting, fiscal management, goal setting and goal evaluation is a must.
- Excellent people skills–relationship and confidence building, verbal/written communication with "trust factor", mission- driven management style.
- Careful attention to detail while constantly multitasking.
- Experience and ease in project management. Ability to track self and others to internal and external deadlines, with the ability to respond in real time to internal customer needs and/or external crisis communications as needed.
- Operational flexibility to meet sudden and unpredictable business needs, willingness to regularly work outside standard established business hours to ensure department deadlines are met, as well as to represent the Council when appropriate.
- Physical requirements are those present in normal office environment conditions.
Bachelor's degree preferred or experience in lieu of education.
Additional Organizational Requirements
- Subscribe to the principles of the Girl Scout Movement and the Core Values of GSGLA
- Possess a positive attitude with strong work ethic, integrity and honesty.
- Must be flexible, adaptable and willing to thrive in an ever changing/fast-paced environment.
- Develop and maintain sensitivity to employee diversity in the work place.
- Behave in ways that demonstrate respectful treatment of other employees, volunteers and girls.
- Practice pluralism and be inclusive with the services provided.
The incumbent is in a non-confined office-type setting in which he or she is free to move about at will. The environment for this position is mostly clean and comfortable but may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. In the course of performing this work, the incumbent:
- Will spend time sitting, utilizing the computer.
- Will spend time standing/walking throughout the facilities.
- Must travel via personal vehicle or public transport to various facilities throughout the region.
- May lift up to 15 lbs periodically. If more, the incumbent must request assistance.
- The incumbent must be able to perform this job safely, without endangering the health or safety of him/herself or others.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
I have been given a copy of this position description. I understand that I may be asked to perform responsibilities and duties not listed in the description and that my duties may change at any time, according to GSGLA needs. Nothing in this position description is intended to create a contract of employment of any type. Employment is strictly on an at-will basis.
Sign up to connect with companies that trust you to work wherever you work best.Register Now, be first in line
fair pay, recognition,
respect and yoga pants.
Sign up for our weekly remote work round-up newsletter and have new openings from companies that care delivered right to your inbox.