Economic and Financial Consulting | Director - Financial Services - EMEA
London, United Kingdom
About FTI Consulting
FTI Consulting is a global business advisory firm, dedicated to helping organisations navigate and manage a diverse range of complex issues and business challenges. Our expertise covers the spectrum of Corporate Finance & Restructuring, Economic Consulting, Forensic & Litigation Consulting, Strategic Communications and Technology. We are a company of more than 4,600 professionals with annual revenues in excess of $1.8 billion, with offices located in every major business centre in the world.
Our professionals are some of the most experienced leaders in their fields, and advise across a range of industries. Our clients engage us for high-stakes concerns or emerging opportunities that require specialised expertise, and over the past two decades we have been engaged to work behind the headlines on some of the biggest news stories to date.
FTI Consulting is a fast growing and vibrant place to work. Steered by our values of Integrity, Creativity, Achievement, Empathy and Respect, its meritocratic culture invites both collaboration and healthy debate. We are large enough to be trusted by our clients to solve their biggest issues and yet small enough to know our colleagues on a personal level enabling better team working and a supportive culture to develop your career goals and ambitions.
About Economic and Financial Consulting
Our EFC practice provides law firms, companies and government agencies with analyses of complex economic and financial issues to assist them in understanding the issues and opportunities they face. We have been involved in a wide range of engagements drawing on our economics, finance and accounting expertise. We provide critical insight and expert testimony in legal and regulatory proceedings, strategic decision-making and public policy debates. We also have extensive expertise in valuation, intellectual property, and matters arising in securities litigation and international arbitration.
In Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA), we have teams based in London and Paris, who work closely with teams in New York, Singapore and Toronto. The London team comprises over 100 professional staff.
About the Financial Services Team
The Financial Services team within EFC advises decision makers in diverse circumstances. We provide expertise in complex financial instruments and derivatives to clients globally. We cumulate decades of experience in trading, investment management, valuation and risk management covering multiple asset classes including equity, fixed income, credit, commodities, foreign exchange, interest rates and energy.
We serve a wide range of market participants and offer cross-industry expertise to clients globally (buy side, sell side, financial intermediaries and regulators), in special and complex situations, for example:
About the role
Directors are primarily involved with the Financial Services team but may be involved in the full range of EFC services or with other practices at FTI, with a focus on the financial, commodity and energy markets.
Directors have a central role on projects, taking day-to-day responsibility for delivery, organisation of the work into streams, and the effective coordination of Consultants and Senior Consultants. Typically, Directors will develop, along with Senior Directors and more senior project team members, the approach to projects, or parts of large projects, and are responsible for anticipating, identifying and resolving issues and keeping Senior Directors informed of progress. Directors are responsible for the preparation of formal reports, including their structure and content.
Directors will develop and manage a network of professional relationships with clients and others.
The role will also involve:
- supporting the senior team with writing articles and preparing proposals and presentations for new opportunities;
- performing research and collaborating in the implementation of proprietary valuation and risk management solutions; and
- developing practical and effective solutions to address client issues, by bringing industry insight and experiences.
Qualifications and experience
The qualifications and experience that we typically look for in Director candidates:
- BA/BSc, MSc, PhD in a quantitative discipline;
- in the process of completing or having completed a relevant professional qualification (e.g. CFA, CQF, FRM, CAIA) is considered an advantage;
- strong work experience in quantitative finance, derivative valuation or risk management roles in investment banking, asset management or energy/commodity trading. Prior work experience in an advisory capacity and prior experience at delivering projects in a contentious context (litigation, arbitration, investigations or disputes) are considered a plus; and
- sufficient relevant professional experience to demonstrate the ability to be an effective EFC Director and alignment with our firm's values of integrity, creativity, achievement, respect and empathy.
Knowledge and competencies
Suitable candidates will be problem-solvers who enjoy developing and applying bespoke approaches to solve complex, unstructured problems in a logical manner. Candidates will have strong analytical skills; be able to explain their work and communicate their conclusions and findings clearly, both orally and in writing; and be able to draw upon considerable experience of applying principles to solve problems in practice. The ideal candidate will have an eye for both the big picture and the fine detail.
In addition, the following knowledge and competencies are desired:
- a good understanding of financial instruments and derivatives valuation and/or risk management techniques across asset classes (equity, fixed income, credit, foreign exchange, interest rates, commodities, energy);
- familiarity with global financial market policies and regulations is considered an advantage;
- the capacity to critically evaluate and compare different sources of information and assumptions to assess reliability;
- the ability to develop and apply robust methods to address complex economic and/or financial issues;
- the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meeting deadlines whilst having to rely on inputs provided by others;
- the ability to communicate effectively and authoritatively, verbally and in writing, both internally and with clients. The candidate should have experience writing and structuring reports, and acting as a regular day-to-day contact for clients;
- the ability to report and interact with all levels in an organisation (finance, legal, marketing, operations, IT);
- proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of other relevant analytical software such as Microsoft VBA or Access is also desirable;
- advanced programming knowledge particularly in Python and potentially in other languages (e.g. R Studio, C );
- a working knowledge of database systems and financial data providers (e.g. Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters);
- stronger candidates will also be proficient at speaking and writing in another language.
Please ensure that you attach your CV and cover letter in a single, combined file when applying.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.