What We’re Looking For:
The Manager, Student Success is a critical role responsible for driving revenue and student retention, owning the university partner relationship as it relates to student engagement, and managing a team of dedicated Student Success Advisors at 2U. Student Success owns the outcomes of our students through a combination of high touch, consultative coaching and data-driven decision making. The Manager, Student Success will serve as the strategic and operational champion to drive great outcomes for our students. This role will oversee a program team with full accountability for student retention, satisfaction, and outcomes. The SSM is one of the most pivotal roles in the Student Success organization due to their responsibilities over customer engagement and satisfaction, developing Student Success Advisors to success as individual contributors and leaders, as well as revenue and forecast responsibilities.
The Manager will be an instrumental member of the Student Success team, and directly manage a team of program specific Student Success Advisors who are responsible for owning the entirety of the student experience. Along with Student Success leadership, the Manager will serve as a subject matter expert in student success and retention as well as implement processes and strategic engagements designed to execute on this strategy. Managers will serve as an additional resource and escalation point to students while fully supporting our university partners.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Managing Partnerships (20%)
- Communicate clearly and effectively to colleagues within other 2U departments and to our university partners such as Program Directors, Academic Advising leads, and faculty.
- Maintain healthy partnerships, collaboration, and trust with university partners.
- Drive program improvements via influence, partnering with internal and external stakeholders to implement student success best practices and strategize on additional interventions.
- Serve as the SME on student engagement, satisfaction, and retention with all internal and external stakeholders, making recommendations to internal and external stakeholders regarding the student experience.
- Departmental Leadership (10%)
- As a member of the Student Success leadership team, Identifying and implementing innovations and efficiencies across the department which will enable programs and teams to scale well quickly.
- Thinking creatively and working collaboratively with colleagues inside and outside of the student success department to launch and drive new initiatives from inception to implementation.
- Managing Program Health (40%)
- Maintain accountability for and positively impact key program health metrics such as retention/graduation rates, credit generation, yield, and SS/Program NPS--and meet or exceed management targets in each.
- Maintain operational excellence of program and the student success function. Uphold departmental best practices such as pipeline meetings, yield meetings, contact strategies, yield playbook to identify and mitigate student risk.
- Forecast future credits, students, LOA returns via an understanding of the revenue model, assumptions, and management targets. Ensure communication and mitigation of any risks to business outcomes.
- Create, uphold, and ensure utilization of outreach/engagement dashboards via Salesforce to ensure consistent student outreach.
- Managing People & Building Teams (30%)
- Manage Advisor performance:
- Develop Student Success Advisors as coaches--adept at managing their caseload, uncovering retention barriers, identifying and applying intervention strategies, and applying our coaching methodology.
- Consistently assess and drive SSA performance in KPIs--including student retention and satisfaction.
- Develop Advisors:
- Prioritize people development through consistent feedback, clear expectations, use of career pathing framework, appropriate delegation and stretch assignments, and empowering team members to own their own growth and development.
- Prepare and work towards thoughtful succession planning.
- Create and maintain healthy team culture:
- Provide context and vision to team members when setting direction.
- Create a collaborative, transparent environment marked by collegial feedback and growth mindset--in some cases across offices through remote management/team-building.
- Leverage individual strengths to ensure high performing team.
- Promote employee retention through championing professional development, work/life balance, positive recognition, university pride, and exemplification of the guiding principles. Mission-driven cohesive team.
- Champion a culture of diversity, cultural humility, and inclusion that attracts and retains diverse talent.
- Advisor hiring & training
- Ensure a thorough understanding of SSA role and competencies.
- Build hiring plans aligned with strategic direction.
- Ensure world class onboarding and training experience.
- Manage Advisor performance:
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- 4 - 6 years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- 1 - 3 years’ experience directly managing employees, with a focus on professional development
- Previous experience in Higher Education industry strongly preferred
- Prior coaching or advising background strongly preferred
- Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience in achieving defined results, and exceeding goals and objectives
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Strong attention to detail, adherence to deadlines, and excellent follow through
- Ability to think critically and identify potential issues before they arise
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills required
- Demonstrated ability to receive direct and constructive feedback, and respond with an attitude of a lifelong learner always looking to exceed expectations and grow
- Excellent listener balanced with ability to cultivate the thinking of others
Other Attributes That Will Help You In This Role:
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
- Ability to understand complex programs, processes, and organizational structures and function effectively within them
- Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
2U is comprised of 3 lines of business: Graduate Degree Programs, Short Course, and Boot Camps. Going beyond traditional learning management systems, we use tech, people, and data to help top universities and enterprise organizations transform in the digital era—and eliminate the back row in higher ed. We support lifelong learning which means thinking beyond a single degree. It means finding ways for students to gain the skills they need to change careers, evolve their expertise, and meet the challenges of the changing world head-on. We help our partners fill those needs—developing new digital education technologies and offerings capable of supporting students at different points in their lives. Whether they need a simple refresher, to learn something new, or to change their career trajectories completely, our partners are there to help them succeed. Together with our partners, 2U has positively transformed the lives of more than 275,000 students and lifelong learners.
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to creating and sustaining a culture that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities of our employees. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by the ways in which we are different, as well as the ways in which we are the same.
Benefits & Culture
Working at 2U means working with individuals that are passionate and mission driven. We collaborate on tough problems to deliver the best outcomes for our partners, students, and each other. You will find team members working together in our open office spaces, gathered in the kitchen grabbing a snack, or taking a break in our game rooms.
2U offers a comprehensive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Life insurance, disability and 401(k)
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Generous paid leave policies including unlimited PTO
- Additional time off benefits include: volunteer days, parental leave, and a company-wide winter break from Christmas through New Years!
To learn more, visit 2U.com. #NoBackRow
Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits, pay and dismissal.