Sales and Use Tax Manager
Are you a strategic and creative indirect tax professional who likes solving complex state and local indirect tax issues within sales & use and excise tax? Are you ready to make a greater impact on organizations by combining tax consulting solutions and innovative technology that align the tax function with business objectives?
We are currently seeking a Multistate Sales and Use Tax Manager to join our sales tax recovery team.
What you’ll do
As an Indirect Tax Manager within the Multistate Tax Services group, you will provide state and local indirect tax planning, consulting, and compliance services to a diverse client base in various industry sectors. You will work directly with the client, manage the tax engagement team, and be connected to a strong support system from firm Leadership to ensure you are set up for success in your role. Responsibilities will include:
- Providing sales tax research and analysis for clients in diverse industries
- Ability to manipulate and understand raw data from client’s various business and tax systems
- Experience with documentation review and preparing refund claims
- Keeping up-to-date on current tax practices and technical issues
- Communicating difficulties in a timely fashion and identify and communicate issues that require the immediate attention of the Managers or others on the engagement team
- Actively participating in the decision making on project team.
Deloitte’s Multistate Tax Services (MTS) group is the largest state and local tax (SALT) practice in the United States with more than 1,000 professionals nationwide. Our multistate tax professionals include former state tax auditors and administrators, industry personnel, tax practitioners, accounting specialists, and technology personnel with numerous years of multistate tax experience. Collectively, our team has significant experience with the requirements and nuances of jurisdictions in all 50 states. Our specific services include state income and franchise tax, indirect tax, business restructuring, credits and incentives, sales and use tax outsourcing, excise tax, property tax, state strategic tax review, and state tax controversy.
- 5 – 7 years of dedicated large reverse audit project experience. Be able to cite specific states, clients, magnitude of refunds, and experience in handling audits and administrative appeals procedures. Be able to speak to results in administrative appeals process.
- Proven technical research skills and knowledge with a view toward developing opportunities for the market. Be able to describe approach to developing and identifying opportunities.
- Be able to demonstrate experience with selling reverse audits – either as part of a pursuit team, or in developing a specific idea/approach for pursuits.
- Demonstrated experience with planning and managing engagements, including sampling, understanding of financial books and records, interfacing with data mining team.
- Demonstrated experience managing and developing project team and training seniors/staff. Be able to cite number of professionals supervised on projects.
- Accreditation: CPA, JD, CMI
- Advanced degree such as Masters of Tax, JD, and/or LLM
- Previous Big 4 or large CPA firm experience
How you’ll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.
We take pride in our culture and celebrate individuals by recognizing their uniqueness. As a commitment to our people, we offer well-being programs and provide our professional’s opportunities for support and flexibility to make daily choices that can help them to be healthy, centered, confident, and aware. This supportive culture helps enable our people to do their best work every day. Learn more about Life at Deloitte.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. This purpose defines who we are and extends to relationships with our clients, our people and our communities. We believe that business has the power to inspire and transform. We focus on education, giving, skill-based volunteerism, and leadership to help drive positive social impact in our communities. Learn more about Deloitte’s impact on the world.
We want job seekers exploring opportunities at Deloitte to feel prepared and confident. To help you with your interview, we suggest that you do your research: know some background about the organization and the business area you’re applying to. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte professionals.
As used in this posting, “Deloitte” means Deloitte Tax LLP, a subsidiary of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries. Certain services may not be available to attest clients under the rules and regulations of public accounting.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.