About FTI Consulting:
FTI Consulting is a global business advisory firm, dedicated to helping organisations navigate and manage a diverse range of complex issues and business challenges. Our expertise covers the spectrum of Corporate Finance & Restructuring, Economic Consulting, Forensic & Litigation Consulting, Strategic Communications and Technology. We are a company of more than 4,600 professionals with annual revenues in excess of $1.8 billion, with offices located in every major business centre in the world.
Our professionals are some of the most experienced leaders in their fields, and advise across a range of industries. Our clients engage us for high-stakes concerns or emerging opportunities that require specialised expertise, and over the past two decades we have been engaged to work behind the headlines on some of the biggest news stories to date.
FTI Consulting is a fast growing and vibrant place to work. Steered by our values of Integrity, Creativity, Achievement, Empathy and Respect, its meritocratic culture invites both collaboration and healthy debate. We are large enough to be trusted by our clients to solve their biggest issues and yet small enough to know our colleagues on a personal level enabling better team working and a supportive culture to develop your career goals and ambitions.
About Economic and Financial Consulting
Our EFC practice provides law firms, companies and government agencies with analyses of complex economic and financial issues to assist them in understanding the issues and opportunities they face. We have been involved in a wide range of engagements drawing on our economics, finance and accounting expertise. We provide critical insight and expert testimony in legal and regulatory proceedings, strategic decision-making and public policy debates. We also have extensive expertise in valuation, intellectual property, and matters arising in securities litigation and international arbitration.
In Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA), we have teams based in London and Paris, who work closely with teams in New York, Singapore and Toronto. The London team comprises over 100 professional staff.
About the Financial Services Team
The Financial Services team within EFC advises decision makers in diverse circumstances. We provide expertise in complex financial instruments and derivatives to clients globally. We cumulate decades of experience in trading, investment management, valuation and risk management covering multiple asset classes including equity, fixed income, credit, commodities, foreign exchange, interest rates and energy.
We serve a wide range of market participants and offer cross-industry expertise to clients globally (buy side, sell side, financial intermediaries and regulators), in special and complex situations, for example:
Valuation and Risk management: We combine our quantitative skills with unrivalled industry expertise, market research, cutting-edge technology and insightful data to provide informed and pragmatic valuation solutions. We leverage our critical thinking, trading, investment-management and valuation expertise as well as our proprietary models, cutting-edge technology and data analytics capabilities to provide best-of-class, tailored and strategic operational, market, credit, liquidity and model risk advice and solutions.
Disputes, Litigation & Arbitration: We leverage our trading, investment management, valuation, risk management and regulation knowledge to provide independent expertise and testimony in disputes, litigation and arbitration globally.
Investigation: We rely on our deep expertise with financial instruments and trading environments to assist market participants or regulators in the context of investigations.
Transactions advisory: We provide support in transactions where trading, valuation and risk expertise is central to understanding and valuing a financial instrument in the context of mergers, acquisitions, liquidation, close-outs or restructurings.
About the role
Consultants are primarily involved with the Financial Services team but may be involved in the full range of EFC's work or with other practices at FTI, with a focus on the financial, commodity and energy markets . They are responsible for the delivery of individual workstreams within projects, working alone or with others. Consultants are centrally involved in analysis and the preparation of formal written reports. They are expected to be able to take responsibility for research and other gathering of information; carrying out quantitative, industry and market analysis; and report their findings in a clear, concise and structured way.
The role will also involve:
- supporting the senior team with writing articles and with preparing proposals and presentations for new opportunities;
- performing research and collaborating in the implementation of proprietary valuation and risk management solutions; and
- developing practical and effective solutions to address client issues, by bringing industry insight and experiences.
Qualifications and experience
The qualifications and experience that we typically look for in Consultant candidates:
- BA/BSc, MSc, PhD in a quantitative discipline;
- in the process of completing or having completed a relevant professional qualification (e.g. CFA, CQF, FRM, CAIA) is considered an advantage;
- Strong relevant work experience in quantitative finance, derivative valuation or risk management roles in investment banking, asset management or energy/commodity trading. Prior work experience in an advisory capacity and prior experience at delivering work product in a contentious context (litigation, arbitration, investigations or disputes) are considered a plus; and
- Sufficient relevant professional experience to demonstrate the ability to be an effective EFC Consultant and alignment with our firm's values of integrity, creativity, achievement, respect and empathy.
Knowledge and competencies
Suitable candidates will be problem-solvers who enjoy developing and applying bespoke approaches to solve complex, unstructured problems in a logical manner. Candidates will have strong analytical skills; be able to explain their work and communicate their conclusions and findings clearly, both orally and in writing; and be able to draw upon their experience of applying principles to solve problems in practice. The ideal candidate will have an eye for both the big picture and the finer detail.
In addition, the following knowledge and competencies are desired:
- a good understanding of financial instruments and derivatives valuation and/or risk management techniques across asset classes (equity, fixed income, credit, foreign exchange, interest rates, commodities, energy);
- familiarity with global financial market policies and regulations is considered an advantage;
- the capacity to critically evaluate and compare different sources of information and assumptions to assess reliability;
- the ability to develop and apply robust methods to address complex economic and/or financial issues;
- the ability to produce high quality work and create efficiencies in research and analytical tasks in a restricted time environment for deliverables;
- the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing. The candidate should have experience writing and structuring reports, and the capability of ad hoc liaison with clients;
- good time management skills and experience in managing and prioritising multiple tasks;
- proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of other relevant analytical software such as Microsoft VBA or Access is also desirable; and
- advanced programming knowledge (e.g. Python, R Studio, C );
- a working knowledge of database systems and financial data providers (e.g. Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters);
- stronger candidates will also be proficient at speaking and writing in another language.
Please ensure that you attach your CV and Cover Letter in a single, combined file when applying.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
We're a community of women leveraging our connections into top companies to help underrepresented women get the roles they've always deserved. Simultaneously, we work to build truly inclusive hiring processes and environments where women can thrive and not just survive.
Are you hiring? Join our platform for diversifiying your team