Microsoft Cloud Infrastructure and Operations is the team behind the cloud. MCIO is responsible for delivering Microsoft web portals, Live and Online Services around the world including infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability. Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide. We are looking for a passionate, high energy individual to help build the network that powers the world’s largest online services.
The role of the Project Manager requires strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, ability to self-direct, strong background in Data Center design, engineering, controls, and operational requirements and an emphasis on project/construction management, Data Center lease market experience, client representation and project and Project level services.
The DCD SCPM is the Employer’s Representative and is responsible for the delivery of core & shell and tenant improvements for a single Data Centre project or multiple projects as may be assigned to them.
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day.Responsibilities
The key accountabilities of the DCD SCPM include:
Health, Safety & Environmental
Scope & Quality
Environmental oversight during construction
Metro level resource planning and management
All key decisions for the project in the delivery phase must be routed through the DCD SCPM including change management decisions.
The DCD SCPM will coordinate with the Data Center Engineering (DCE) team and supporting specialty consultants to update and edit the Basis of Design (BOD).
In managing the delivery of projects, this position aligns metro wide delivery strategies to local team objectives, business processes, vendor management strategies, and cross-group collaboration efforts.
The DCD SCPM will align with the regional EMEA director and Metro Construction lead to develop metro wide delivery strategies across multiple locations, multi GC deployments and manage a continuous improvement programme that will result in delivery headcount reductions and a lean project delivery approach.
The DC SCPM will be a relentless advocate for managing a safe worksite implementing the Microsoft High Risk Activity (HRA) program and work with GC groups to deliver trade collaboration methods to improve safe working and co-ordination of the job sites.
The DC SCPM will also collaborate with Microsoft Security (OSSC), Microsoft IT (MSIT), Legal, Project Engineering, MS Business Risk Management, and other internal groups to maintain the corporate vision and goals for the metro/Project.
In addition, this position will be responsible for coordinating and reviewing vendor performance relative to cash flow and budget summaries with Microsoft Project Controls and a lean Cost Management (CM) vendor support function, clarifying those reports in presentations to the delivery and executive chain on a cadence set by the leadership team. Other responsibilities include oversight and collaboration with project controls to generate new project Expenditure Request (PERs), Professional Services Request (PSRs), Change Orders, Pay Applications, etc.
Additional responsibilities include working with the regional director to set the metro strategies, develop new regions in conjunction with the site acquisition and due diligence teams as well as participation in communications plans, community involvement with support from Data Center Operations (DCOPs), Real Estate Services, Data Center Services, and Corporate Communications teams.
The DCD SCPM will report into the regional director for Construction and is the key interface lead for the project across all other DCX teams in relation to the project such as regional, campus and project level FTEs including those responsible for commissioning and integration delivery.
- Create and/or maintain best practices to identify and incorporate cost-effective solutions in line with evolving Div 1 specification requirements and report on KPIs for the same.
- Manage the selection, contracting, and integration of multiple vendors and internal partners
- Drive deployment of solutions that can be socialized globally across DCD projects.
- Facilitate client/sponsor decision-making to drive solutions, schedules, and manage change as required.
- Apply influence, strategies and negotiation skills to identify options and recommend solutions.
- Regularly reviews cost and KPI metrics, invoices, process/policy communications to client partners.
- Provide project single point of contact for project development and delivery.
- Coordinate meetings and activities of vendors, cost managers, and integration of lessons learned.
- Attend scheduled owner/architect/contractor (OAC) and other project meetings, and report as necessary
- Report Project Progress on scope, schedule, and budget as required
- Provide weekly project status reporting to DCD standards.
- Challenge and remove barriers by working with others around a shared need or customer benefit.
- Ability to maintain a broader perspective, identify and evaluate opportunities to enhance the business through cross-group collaboration.
- Incorporate diverse perspectives to thoroughly address complex business issues.
- Responsible for developing, managing, and reporting on scope, schedule, and budget.
- Direct fiscal responsibility for the approved project budget.
- Work independently in support of the DCD Project.
Vendor Management and contract compliance:
- Provide Vendor oversight and performance management.
- Preparation of Request for Proposal (RFP’s), PER’s, and other project approval tools & templates.
- Review and approval of vendor scope of work and design review of site and building plans.
- Validate vendor pay-application and invoice review and approval in line with milestone payment schedules.
- Manage compliance with prior audit results and recommendations.
Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Construction Project Management, or Construction Management.
10+ yrs. exp. of data center project construction with large-scale data centers or DC lease providers.
Degrees and/or professional licenses in Construction Management or Electrical/Mechanical Engineering or Architecture.
Strong Verbal and Written Communication Skills
Experience managing multiple large multi-faceted projects.
Ability to independently manage deadlines
Support, mentor and lead a cross functional, multi discipline staffing model.
Challenge and remove barriers by working with others around a shared need or customer benefit.
Ability to maintain a broader perspective, identify and evaluate opportunities to enhance the business through cross-group collaboration.
Construction Health & Safety Knowledge.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.