Chief Engineer - Product Line Engineering (CE-PLE)
Chief Engineer - Product Line Engineering (CE-PLE)
Employees at L3 Communication Systems-West create solutions that save lives. Join our team and serve those who serve us.
Who is L3 Communication Systems-West (L3 CSW)?
With over 3400 employees, we are one of Utah’s top employers. Our smart devices send mission-critical data into armed conflicts to help our troops stay safe by staying in touch with key information. We’ve taken large communications systems—ground based, mobile, satellite, surveillance and reconnaissance—and developed new ways to make them smaller and more capable.
Why should you work at L3 CSW?
Not only can you make life-saving differences for our troops, but at L3 CSW, you can have a flexible work schedule, buy up to 80 hours of additional vacation, access our on-site health clinic, work out in our on-site fitness center, eat in our on-site cafes with healthy food discounts, ride our shuttles or bicycles around our campus, take advantage of our tuition reimbursement, access L3 Perks, and so much more!
Who works at L3 CSW?
We are committed to diversity in every aspect of our business. Our inclusive culture welcomes all employees and values their unique contributions to our success. For L3 CSW, diversity enhances our business.
Are you ready to be L3 CSW?
Join us as we keep our nation and troops safe by providing life-saving solutions for use on sea, land, air, and space.
Chief Engineer – Product Line Engineering (CE-PLE)
The CE-PLE provides technical leadership to the product line engineering organization. This engineer will work closely with product line engineers, product & program managers, systems & functional engineers, executive management, and operations to give technical direction and support for product line products. The CE-PLE will also provide architectural support for existing products and products to be developed. The CE-PLE may also manage a product family; this entails becoming a product expert, managing IRAD enhancement efforts for that product, and working closely with operations and operations test to keep the production of the product running smoothly.
- Become the technical expert within product line engineering
- Work closely with the Manager – Product Line Engineering in the following tasks:
- Review bids and proposals in functional reviews
- Represent product line engineering in various executive reviews
- Provide insight and feedback on new products and influence technology and product roadmaps
- Supply engineering support to the end customer and primes to meet product business goals and resolve system issues
- Coordinate and collaborate with Product Line Engineers and Product Managers to provide internal system engineering support for activities such as Diminishing Manufacturing Sources (DMS) resolution, Design Verification Testing (DVT), software sell- off, bids, and proposals
- Identify a variety of engineering/operations/process issues, isolate issues, drive issues to root cause and implement short- and long-term corrective actions
- Produce results in a matrixed team environment
- Facilitate appropriate change within the organization to resolve current issues and prevent future ones
- An ABET (EAC/CAC) accredited Bachelor's or Master’s of Science degree in an Engineering discipline is required
- 7+ years industry experience; knowledge/experience with CSW design cycles, CCA design, FPGA design, mechanical design, software design, and systems engineering a plus
- Demonstrated design experience and strong technical knowledge of the principles in at least two of the following areas: Systems Engineering, Communications theory, Signal Processing, Digital design, Analog and RF design, Software design, Networking design, or Mechanical design
- Knowledge of a broad range of engineering concepts, practices, and procedures for the solution of technical problems
- Familiarity with Product Manufacturing (Operations) and Quality Management is desired
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (both oral and written) are required, including the ability to effectively present to large audiences
- Must work well in a team environment as well as have good team leadership skills
- Possess effective problem solving skills and the ability to meet critical deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in the absence of complete information
- Experience with root cause analysis desired
- Familiarity with Earned Value Management principles is desired
- Working knowledge of CSW tools, including TeamCenter and SAP is desired
- Ability and willingness to travel when required – estimated at less than 10%
Experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
This position may be filled at a higher grade based on the successful applicant's skills, education and experience.
Due to the nature of our work qualified candidates must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities / sexual orientation / gender identity.
L3 maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance-abuse testing and background checks.