The Director of Support is responsible for running and growing the Support Engineering team at GitLab. Driving all company strategic objectives forward and more so focus on solutions in ensuring tickets are answered sooner than the SLA requires. Directors at GitLab also create the collaborative and productive environment in which developers and engineering managers do their work.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 1,000 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. Our hiring process is described in more detail in our hiring handbook.
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
1. Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
2. Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
3. Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
4. Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
5. Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
6. Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
7. Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
8. As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
9. Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
10. Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
Hiring and manage a globally distributed team
Conduct 1:1’s with personell
Set and optimize support processes
Select and implement support tools
Represent support team needs inside the company
Work across sub-departments within engineering
Align closely with GitLab’s values
Write public blog posts and speak at conferences
Give company-wide functional group update presentations (FGUs)
SaaS industry experience
Self-hosted (on-prem) experience
10 years of experience managing global technical support organizations
Experience managing support organizations of 40 or more
Start-up experience in an organisation of 500 or less employees in total
Experience managing managers
Data-driven approach to decision making
Excellent written and spoken English
Remote work experience
Past hands-on technical experience with programming and systems administration
Understanding of Git or a similar ecosystem to GitLab’s
Online community participation
Remote work experience
Experience in Developer Marketing environment
Significant open source contributions
Applicants for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that applicants can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find her/his job title on our team page.
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute screening call with our Recruiting team
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute first interview with our Support Lead
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute second interview with a Staff Support Engineer
- Next, candidates will be invited to schedule a 45 minute third interview with our VP of Engineering
- Finally, candidates may be asked to schedule a 50 minute final interview with our CEO
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email