Senior Technical Program Manager
HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands.
HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
We are seeking a Technical Program Manager to join our team to lead a portfolio of solutions. In this leadership role, you will drive solutions and execution as we evolve our capabilities to build a competitive advantage in our marketplace. You will be asked to draw on your industry expertise and agile knowledge to increase the effectiveness of existing solutions and help build new ones to drive scale and efficiency throughout the organization.
Working with our team requires a rare blend of business insight and technical skills shown through the ability to translate partner problems into actionable roadmaps and backlogs. You will partner with the product manager(s) to understand, communicate and implement the product requirements informed from industry analysis and end-user feedback to lead the overall product lifecycle for a portfolio of solutions. Common responsibilities include: leading sprint planning sessions, triaging issues and risks, publishing roadmaps, communicating requirements with supporting teams, promoting agile practices and continuous improvement, and collaborating with Engineering. From there; you will be empowered to design, implement, refine and deploy new platforms and features that our customers value.
- Own the portfolio lifecycle and solutions from sprint planning to end-user adoption
- Take on the role of scrum master for one or two product delivery teams
- Meet frequently with product, engineering and business partners to develop a deep understanding of their business processes and needs
- Partner with the product and engineering lead(s) to ensure the team’s roadmap and maintain backlog priorities to enable a smooth agile development process and minimize blockers
- Manage change process with product manager(s) and engineering leads
- Monitor the team’s development velocity and facilitate the resolution of risks and blockers
- Collaborate with the product manager(s) and engineering teams to ensure epics and user stories are clearly defined and properly phased to facilitate timely delivery of functionality
- Lead communication and solution delivery across cross-functional operating teams
- Communicate status, risks with resolution plan, upcoming milestones, and recent releases to leadership teams
- Manage resolution of urgent engineering issues while communicating changes to business partners
- Work with the engineering and product leadership teams to ensure they are fully engaged in strategic and tactical planning decisions
- 3-5+ years of Program/Project Management and/or scrum master experience in a high-tech company, preferably in a B2C ecommerce environment
- High level of initiative, passion, and the desire to build a world-class user experience for customers
- Demonstrated experience driving agile software development with engineering, quality assurance, and functional teams
- Demonstrated expertise in standard methodologies for software development, and the ability to evolve those practices according to technology and business trends
- Ability to lead teams through issue resolution and risk management
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex concepts to highly engineering and non-engineering partners
- Comfortable presenting to large internal groups and leadership team members
- Validated track of record managing multiple, ongoing complex projects and implementing of ecommerce applications, while delivering on schedule
- Full product lifecycle management experience, including user acceptance testing, launch, and end of life processes
- Understanding of N-Tier software development architectures, relational databases, cloud architecture, and data warehouse architectures
- Experience as a Business Analyst (BA) and/or Developer in engineering software environment strongly desired
- Experience with complex information architecture and taxonomy management a plus
- Scrum master and agile evangelist experience in a dynamic software development environment
- Certified scrum master and/or Project Management a plus
- BA/BS required preferably in Computer Information Systems, Business Administration or related fields (applicable experience may be substituted)
- 1-3 years programming experience desired, depending on level
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
“We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.”