Senior Principal Data Scientist
Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC) is the global leader in cyber security. Operating one of the world’s largest cyber intelligence networks, we see more threats, and protect more customers from the next generation of attacks. We help companies, governments and individuals secure their most important data wherever it lives.
About the Role:
We are looking for a hands-on, results-oriented, intellectually curious, self-learning Sr. Principal Data Scientist/Analyst to join our Marketing Analytics team. Our mission is to understand the behavior of our customers with respect to how they interact with our web properties, product UIs, subscriptions, marketing channels, CRM systems, and sales platforms so that we can provide the most actionable and impactful insights, advice, and data products to our Marketing organization. Although we expect you to have experience using a variety of modeling and algorithmic methods and familiarity with digital marketing practices, web analytics, and customer lifetime value, we also expect you to apply strong business acumen to the models you build. You possess excellent communication skills and are able to engage with senior leaders to design well-constructed analyses and work cross-functionally with analysts, product managers and engineers to effectively deliver actionable results.
You will be joining a team environment like no other. You will not find big egos here. You will find a strong team of analysts that thrives equally on learning and teaching -- we value learning from the most junior to the most senior members of our team and beyond. We are passionate about our work, and our appetite for improving existing skills while acquiring new ones is insatiable. We practice and demand transparency – we work hard to spread, not hoard, our knowledge within our team and across the organization. We often refer to ourselves as Data Scientists because, ultimately, our job is to acquire knowledge about the business so we can apply scientific techniques to drive profitable growth. If you share our values, we would love to hear from you.
- Learn and stay current with the latest techniques in statistical and machine learning and apply them to our analytical challenges.
- Identify and analyze customer behaviors for use in tactical and strategic decision-making.
- Discover the critical customer attributes (variables) that will give us the most leverage to improve customer lifetime value.
- Discover impediments to conversion and retention (frictions) and identify the causes.
- Work with cross-functional teams of sales, finance, marketing, and product managers to understand market and competitive dynamics.
- Establish regular and insightful analyses on core KPIs to define levers to improve business performance.
- Work with Engineering and Product teams who create the data pipelines to ensure the appropriate metrics and dimensions are incorporated into our data sets.
- Masters or PhD degree in a quantitative discipline (Economics, Finance, Statistics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science, or MBA with emphasis in analytics).
- 10-12+ years' work experience in marketing analytics/data science role (acquisition, CRM, retention).
- Proficient at analyzing large multi-dimensional data sets using data/statistical tools such as SQL, R, Python, and SAS.
- Experience with regression methods (linear, non-linear, logistic), machine learning techniques (Random Forest, SVM, Boosting), scientific method, CLV modelling, dynamic modelling, stochastic methods, etc.
- Expertise with web analytics methods and frameworks – Omniture/Google Analytics
- Translating data into an informed story via visualization tools such as Qlikview or Tableau
- Excellent communication skills with strong ability to synthesize key insights into actionable solutions
Symantec is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.