Antenna / Microwave Engineering Section Manager
"This position requires a U.S. person or the ability to obtain an Export Authorization from the appropriate government agency for non-U.S. persons"
The Hardware Engineering Center (HWEC) has a need for an Antenna / Microwave Engineering Section Manager (SM) for the Radar & EW (Electronic Warfare) Processing (REP) department. This department provides a wide range of Electrical Engineering work products in support of Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS). This Section, located in beautiful Goleta California, provides a wide range of RF support to EW Systems (EWS) programs.
The position is approximately 25% Section Manager and 75% Engineering Design and Development.
The Section Manager performs direct line management activities for approximately 10 (ten) engineers. Responsibilities include: actively engaging with programs, ensuring program success meeting technical, cost and schedule requirements, serves as engineering liaison to programs, development of proposals; overseeing section member job assignments, performance, evaluations, recognition, and career development; coordinating programs staffing needs and optimizing staffing across skills and experience to meet demands for multiple programs, and being the champion of engineering best practices.
The Section Manager ensures engineers have adequate requirements allocated from higher-level specifications that they generate robust engineering work products that are spec compliant, and that work is peer reviewed and fully documented. The Section Manager will team with the Department Manager and others in the execution of the Center and SAS Engineering goals.
In addition to functional management responsibilities listed above, the Section Manager is a key technical contributor to the programs supported by the section. The successful candidate will have strong technical skills in at least one of the primary RF sub-disciplines exercised within the section.
The Antenna / Microwave Section has a broad range of RF skills: Expertise in RF / Antenna / Microwave Design and Development. Designs of or using RF and Microwave electronic hardware such as frequency references, fixed and agile frequency synthesizers, upconverters / exciters, downconverters / receivers, low noise amplifiers, and solid state power amplifiers. Efforts include developing circuits using microstrip / stripline and performing circuit simulations and validation of design models using the Keysight Advance Design System (ADS) and Computer Simulation Technology (CST) and other EM tools. Our designs satisfy rigorous requirements of DoD programs. The Section performs technical and cost trade studies, and product selection of commercially available components. Designs incorporate Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) and Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) techniques including a high level of simulation and prototyping necessary to validate simulations and to develop statistical margins.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Electrical Engineering RF design & development.
- Current RF design skills in at least some of the section’s activity.
- Experience with this section's work products, technologies, and similar defense programs / products (RWRs, Transmitters, Decoys, Radar, or other military hardware).
- Must have working familiarity with most of the following RF/Microwave building blocks: Antennas, Amplifier, Analog-To-Digital Converter (A/D), Attenuator, Digital-To-Analog Converter (D/A), Direct Digital Synthesizer (DDS), Directional Coupler, Frequency Mixer, Lowpass/Bandpass/Highpass Filter, Oscillator, Power Divider, RF Switch, Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO), Voltage Reference, Voltage Variable Attenuator.
- Must have working understanding of most of the following RF/Microwave concepts & terminology: dB, dBc, dBi, dBm, Bandwidth, EIRP, G/T, Gain, Gain Compression, Gain Flatness, Intermodulation Products, Isolation, Noise Figure, Phase & Amplitude Settling, Phase Noise, Return Loss, Spurious, Third Order Intercept, and VSWR.
- Must have current or past experience in an RF/Microwave test environment. Familiar with Network Analyzer with calibrations kits, Spectrum Analyzer, Signal Generator, RF Power Meter, Oscilloscope, Anechoic Chambers.
- Advocate for process improvement (e.g. CMMI and Six Sigma); experience building strong relationships and effectively collaborating with internal resources; customer focused.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Prior leadership experience with cross product teams in a complex multiple stakeholder environment.
- Proven ability driving execution balancing technical, cost, and schedule requirements.
- Occasional domestic travel may be required.
- U.S. Citizenship status is required, as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance.
- Electronic Warfare Experience.
- Current experience with design tools such as ADS, CTS, HFSS, FEKO, Matlab, PSpice, AWR Microwave Office, Sonnet, Mentor Board Station and Expedition Schematic/Layout.
- Familiarity with EVMS (Earned Value Management System).
- Systems Engineering Experience.
- Technical publications and/or patents.
- Existing DoD Secret Clearance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical discipline.
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related technical discipline.
- Existing or recent DoD Secret Clearance.
Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) builds radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The business also provides communications and electronic warfare solutions and performs research in areas ranging from linguistics to quantum computing. SAS is headquartered in McKinney, Texas USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Relocation Eligible :Yes
Clearance Type :None / Not Required
Expertise :Electrical Engineering
Type Of Job:Full Time
Work Location:CA - Goleta
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.