PCB Engineer -- Supply Chain Engineering
Employees at L3 Communication Systems-West create solutions that save lives. Join our team and serve those who serve us.
Who is L3 Communication Systems-West (L3 CSW)?
With over 3400 employees, we are one of Utah’s top employers. Our smart devices send mission-critical data into armed conflicts to help our troops stay safe by staying in touch with key information. We’ve taken large communications systems—ground based, mobile, satellite, surveillance and reconnaissance—and developed new ways to make them smaller and more capable.
Why should you work at L3 CSW?
Not only can you make life-saving differences for our troops, but at L3 CSW, you can have a flexible work schedule, buy up to 80 hours of additional vacation, access our on-site health clinic, work out in our on-site fitness center, eat in our on-site cafes with healthy food discounts, ride our shuttles or bicycles around our campus, take advantage of our tuition reimbursement, access L3 Perks, and so much more!
Who works at L3 CSW?
We are committed to diversity in every aspect of our business. Our inclusive culture welcomes all employees and values their unique contributions to our success. For L3 CSW, diversity enhances our business.
Are you ready to be L3 CSW?
Join us as we keep our nation and troops safe by providing life-saving solutions for use on sea, land, air, and space.
L3 Technologies, Communication Systems-West is currently seeking a PCB Engineer. The PCB Engineer will be responsible for the life-cycle support of the all PCB component and Circuit Card Assembly (CCA) commodities through Procurement; from conceptual development through product phase-out. This includes assisting buyers in proposal support, requirements analysis and management, task planning, technical documentation (including generation of Statements of Work and specifications), design oversight participation, design synthesis in a multi-functional engineering environment, build and test support, subcontract control, risk management input, and system deployment and in-house technical support during the operational life-cycle of the system. Accountable for collaborating resolution of issues related to design, quality and manufacturing between multiple organizations.
- Provides PCB/CCA Engineering support to both internal engineering / program teams and suppliers where necessary. Ensures technical performance, quality, and adherence to schedule.
- Assists in management of releasing technical specifications, interface control documents, test plans and procedures, evaluation of configuration and processing solutions and tests conformance to specifications to eliminate conflicting requirements and ensure a complete flow down of customer requirements
- Knowledgeable in 2D and 3D modeling, NX, AutoCad, Solid Edge, Lattice3D or equivalent.
- Provide support to Source Selection Evaluation Teams in evaluating the acceptability and completeness of supplier technical proposals.
- Support new supplier reviews, vendor capabilities, vendor activation activities and manufacturing support throughout the production lifecycle.
- Provide expert guidance to suppliers, when needed, to resolve supplier corrective actions requests (SCARs)
- Work in partnership with engineering, program management, and operations teams and leaders to identify opportunities to include specification improvements, design to cost targets and design for manufacturability considerations.
- Analyze and develop effective solutions to key operational problems.
- Working knowledge of subcontract strategies, complex terms and conditions, FAR/DFAR and project management.
- Work in partnership with key suppliers, internal programs and quality teams to resolve specification conflicts, supplier non-conformances and supplier test and design issues.
- Provide analysis of Supplier Basis of Estimates (BOEs) and Bill of Materials (BOMs) for cost reasonableness
- Develop engineering ‘should cost’ estimates to support the execution of sole source requirements when necessary
- Provide guidance and govern Make/Buy decisions in light of internal core competencies and the division’s business development strategy.
- Assists in the capture and/or management of customer and derived requirements, decomposition and assignment of requirements to appropriate functional areas of responsibility, ensuring traceability from a verification test matrix back to original customer and system level derived requirements.
- Recommends new or improved design solutions and processes; reviews literature, patents and current industry practices of relevance to assigned project
- Follows processes in conformance with established policies and procedures.
- Routinely participate in technical and management reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR, TRR, TIMs, etc.). Evaluate the adequacy of supplier technical reviews to ensure mitigation of risk and completeness of designs
- Model, Drawing and EBOM reviews and hardware part approval management.
- ECR / SIR / PIR / CIR management
- An ABET (EAC/CAC) accredited Bachelor's of Science degree in an Engineering discipline is strongly preferred, or equivalent technical education and experience (2-8 years related experience)
- Familiarity with PCB design software, Microscopy, Microsection preparation.
- Knowledge of engineering documentation (including change orders, configuration, mechanical and electrical drawings, wire tables)
- Basic understanding of IPC design, qualification and acceptance documentation.
- Experience in product development a plus (preferably in military application environment)
- Understanding of engineering architecture and design concepts.
- Presentation and communication skills (verbal/written/visual)
- Problem solving skills and the ability to meet critical deadlines
- Understanding in coordination of project(s) and efforts of technical support personnel
- Ability to productively contribute work, ideas and collaboration as part of a team
- Ability to obtain a DoD Security Clearance, as required
- Ability, willingness to travel when required to support customer installation, demonstrations and general field support
Experience in lieu of a degree will be considered.
This position may be filled at a higher grade based on the successful applicant's skills, education and experience.
Due to the nature of our work qualified candidates must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities / sexual orientation / gender identity.
L3 maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance-abuse testing and background checks.
Stay connected and learn more about L3 Technologies, Communication Systems-West in Salt Lake City, UT