Lead Web Developer
Location: Boston, MA
Reports to: Chief Communications & Marketing Officer
Summary Description: The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) seeks an experienced Lead Web Developer who will architecturally and technically lead the design, scoping, integration and implementation of AMC’s core and microsites to deliver an innovative and intuitive digital experience.
The Lead Web Developer will collaborate with AMC’s design, application development and web maintenance/management staff and consultants to create and ensure highly interactive, reliable, extensible, maintainable, operable and secure features and platforms.
This role requires 8 years of experience with at least 3 years as a successful lead. The ideal candidate will be an organized professional with a passion for all things digital and visual as well as the outdoors.
- With the support of AMC’s Communications and Information Technology teams, lead the definition of the architecture for AMC’s web platform including technology used and methodology followed to deliver web applications.
- Seek out new technologies and stay current in this fast-moving industry.
- Design a fast, resilient and scalable web-based application that incorporates technical infrastructure strategy, configuration and management and provide solutions to optimize performance and scalability.
- Create component design, identify component interaction within the broader system environment, recognize potential reuse and communicate these concepts to developers.
- Create and participate in producing deliverables (including architecture and technical design documentation, standards, code development and QA) to high quality standards.
- Work closely with AMC’s Development team to identify new features and next generation offerings by as well as translating functional requirements into mobile solutions.
- Act as technical advisor for application development and internal teams in the IT department, to plan, implement and support new and existing web technologies.
- Assist with the development of consistent technology frameworks, platforms, standards and processes and identify current and future web application development trends to be incorporated into a strategic roadmap.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 8 years of technical experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a leadership role delivering complex enterprise projects.
- High level of experience with version control management using Git or SVN.
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks and pre-processors like jQuery and SCSS.
- Experience architecting, developing and delivering web-based applications.
- Ability to work handle multiple priorities and work collaboratively with cross-functional teams in a deadline driven environment.
Helpful Qualifications and Experience:
- Experience building sites with modern CMS platforms including WordPress and Drupal.
- LAMP stack, server administration, SSL/TLS and network configuration.
- Google and Microsoft software suites: Google: Webmaster Tools, Analytics, Search, Tag Manager, AdWords, Plus, Maps.
- Microsoft SharePoint, Office, PowerShell, VScode or equivalent IDE.
- Modern release workflows and tools.
Apply for Lead Web Developer using the link below:
Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. The information should include three (3) professional references and your salary requirements. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!