Director, Product Management
Location: New York or Portland
Director, Product Management
We are looking for a Director of Product Management with domain expertise in advertising technology to oversee the product management efforts that span multiple product lines. Developing elegant, industry-changing products is the heart of our business at AppNexus, and this is a fantastic opportunity to join the team that sits on the front lines. As a Director, you will be expected to lead a team of product managers and be accountable for the success of a critical area of our platform. You will own the product roadmap, guide the team to articulate and validate outstanding user and customer needs, collaborate on implementing innovations and product enhancements, and ensure our products are successful in market.
About the team:
The AppNexus Product Management team plays an integral role in our company mission: creating a better Internet. Our product managers are systems thinkers who work cross-functionally to make great things happen for the business and our customers. We engage deeply and regularly with users, customer decision-makers, partners, and our customer-facing organizations to identify and validate the opportunities that we pursue. Serving as the critical bridge between our technology and our business, we engage with nearly every part of AppNexus, from our sales and services teams to engineering, marketing, and design. We are encouraged to experiment, build, fail fast, and think holistically to create game changing advertising technology innovations. We also like to have fun, and bring in a diverse set of passions and interests from outside of work that help us think creatively on the job.
About the job:
- Lead the full product lifecycle for one or more product areas covering research, scoping, prototyping, validation, productionalization, and rollout.
- Engage with users, customer stakeholders, prospects and partners to gain insights into existing product usage, uncover business needs, and discuss pain points to deeply understand how people perceive your product and what would unlock additional value.
- Collaborate with the commercial team and other stakeholders to consolidate, rationalize, and prioritize known market opportunities into a strategic 12-month product roadmap.
- Articulate the key value drivers for your product area and define success metrics to enable the teams you work with to ensure our products are delivering value as expected.
- Coach product managers on your team on best practices, implement lightweight processes, and manage performance as needed.
- Collaborate closely with engineering leaders and their teams through all stages of the product development. Understand the cost implications of product decisions and seek opportunities to make your product area painless and cost-effective to develop and maintain.
- Lead and coordinate product rollout efforts with marketing, sales, services, and other customer-facing teams. Collaborate with product marketing and customer training groups as they develop collateral including white papers, case studies, demos, training material etc.
- Act as the key product evangelist and expert for external users as well as internal teams.
About your skills and experience:
- 6+ years of hands on product management experience, 8+ years of total experience building large scale, enterprise level software.
- Must have people management and/or product portfolio management experience.
- Experience managing products in fast-paced, agile environment.
- Domain expertise in one or more areas of real-time ad exchanges such as DSP, DMP, SSPs, etc. is a strong plus
- Experience delivering cohesive front-end interfaces through collaboration with UI developers and UX professionals.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical abilities and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with internal business and technology leaders as well as customer/partner organizations.
- Proven track record of partnering with engineering teams in a highly technical environment.
- Technical background is a plus — BS/MS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent hands on software development experience
More about you:
- You are passionate about a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others
- You like to take risks when looking for novel solutions to complex problems. If faced with roadblocks, you continue to reach higher to make greatness happen
- You care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build long-term solutions for the whole ecosystem
- You believe in not only serving customers, but also empowering them by providing knowledge and tools