Senior Backend Engineer
The New Digital Business Group is an entrepreneurial startup unit within AMC Networks. This dynamic group is focused on building new streaming content businesses and currently operates the high-growth streaming video subscription services: Shudder, dedicated to suspenseful and thrilling entertainment, and Sundance Now, focused on indie and high-quality films, documentaries and original series.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for developing software to support content ingestion, third-party integrations and advanced integration with OTT platforms.
- Responsible for development of the core data and platform APIs that are utilized by all of our platforms serving web, mobile, and living room devices.
- Stay up to date on the latest technologies and leverage them strategically to improve speed to business and quality.
- Responsible to analyze business requirements and compose them into configurable and scalable software components. Works with the team to ensure that they are consistent with overall service architecture.
- Act as a key escalation point for complex problems and support business and operations team in resolving critical issues.
- 5+ years software development experience
- 5+ years of experience in multiple software languages particularly in: Java, Python
- 5+ years developing using web frameworks such as JAX-RS, Django and micro service frameworks like Spring and Flask.
- Knowledge designing REST APIs and writing API documentation via Swagger/RAML/API Blueprint
- Experience designing and developing message proxies and integrating data with 3rd party systems.
- Experience with building highly scalable, high transaction, consumer facing, web based platforms that are internationally compatible
- Experience with managing software projects using Atlassian tools such as Confluence & JIRA and Git VCS like Bitbucket or GitHub
- Bachelors or above degree in either Computer Science or Computer Engineering is preferred
- Familiarity with AWS based services
- Strong knowledge of relational and document-based databases
- Strong understanding of OOP, software life-cycle, source control and QA tools.
- Primarily code using Test Driven Development (TDD) in an Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery environment
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Command Line
- Experience with OTT Video Platforms such as Ooyala, thePlatform, Kaltura etc is a plus
- Experience working with Apache, Nginx, Tomcat or other application servers
- Excellent communication/collaboration skills and is comfortable working in a startup environment