AVP, Application Engineer (11)
This role is based in the greater Baltimore area.
Billions of transactions—and you’ll touch all of them if you join our IT team as an Assistant Vice President, Digital System Engineer. Imagine the sheer scale of what we impact every second of every day. Now imagine what you can do with that influence—this is where you can shape the future of payments.
The AVP, IT Application Engineer plays a pivotal technical role within Synchrony Financial in successfully hosting several client-facing platforms and delivering high-quality solutions on those platforms.
It’s the ideal time to come aboard—we’re focused on the future, continuing to evolve as a company and help define the financial technology industry. With so much opportunity available, this is where you can make your mark
- Lead teams in building new web solutions/platforms and enhancements, working closely with requirements analysts, testers, and the customer in an agile development practice
- Develop functional and technical specifications from business requirements
- Help create project estimates and plans. Represent engineering team in project meetings and solution discussions
- Ensure application quality and adherence to performance requirements
- Responsible for documentation, code reuse, re-factoring and design patterns standards compliance
- Ensure high standards of availability, scalability, and extensibility of internally developed applications
- Work closely with an experienced staff comprising both Synchrony resources and/or 3rd party contractors
- Help define measurable goals for the team
- Communicate the status of technical stacks and initiatives to stakeholders and leadership
- Keep abreast of emerging technologies while maintaining proficiency in existing technologies
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned
- 1) Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field, with a minimum of 5 years of experience in Information Technology; OR 2) In lieu of the Bachelor’s degree, a minimum of 9 years of experience in Information Technology
- Minimum 5 years of experience in full stack development using JEE technologies
- Experience developing n-tier web applications including web services
- Minimum 2 years of application design experience using Design Patterns, UML, component architecture, unit/functional testing, and/ or database design/tuning
- Strong working knowledge of the Financial Industry and Consumer Lending
- Experience in designing and developing applications using microservices architecture and cloud based technologies
- Experience in Agile application development methodology
- Ability to achieve results in a cross-functional matrix organization involving multiple technologies, personnel and processes
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Training and/or Certification in JEE and web based technologies
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- You must be willing to take a drug test, submit to a background investigation and submit fingerprints as part of the selection process
- You must be able to satisfy the requirements of Section 19 of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act.
- Effective 1-1-18, new hires (Level 4-7) must have 9 months of continuous service with the company before they are eligible to post on other roles. Once this new hire time in position requirement is met, the associate will have a minimum 6 months’ time in position before they can post for future non-exempt roles. Employees, level 8 or greater, must have at least 24 months’ time in position before they can post. All internal employees must have at least a “consistently meets expectations” performance rating and have approval from your manager to post (or the approval of your manager and HR if you don’t meet the time in position or performance requirement).
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
- Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
- If you need special accommodations, please call our Career Support Line so that we can discuss your specific situation. We can be reached at 1-866-301-5627. Representatives are available from 8am – 5pm Monday to Friday, Central Standard Time.