Director of Engineering
Who We Are
The New Digital Business Group is an entrepreneurial startup unit within AMC Networks. This dynamic group is focused on building new streaming content businesses and currently operates the high-growth streaming video subscription services: Shudder, dedicated to suspenseful and thrilling entertainment, and Sundance Now, focused on indie and high-quality films, documentaries and original series.
Shudder and Sundance Now are the leading SVOD services in their respective categories. They offer the best in curated, exclusive and original programming and are accessible on all major streaming video platforms (web, iOS, Android, Roku, Apple TV, FireTV, Xbox, etc.). These services launched less than two years ago and are scaling and expanding globally at an explosive rate.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for recruiting, managing and developing a team of backend developers who develop the software to support integration with the OTT platform including developing software to support content ingestion, third-party integrations and advanced integration with OTT platforms.
- Responsible for architecting the core data and platform APIs that are utilized by all of our platforms serving web, mobile, and living room devices.
- Responsible for managing partners and 3rd party vendors.
- Is a hands on developer who spends at least 50% of their time actively developing new service features.
- Stay up to date on the latest technologies and leverage them strategically to improve speed to business and quality.
- Responsible to analyze business requirements and compose them into configurable and scalable software components. Works with the team to ensure that they are consistent with overall service architecture.
- Act as a key escalation point for complex problems and support business and operations team in resolving critical issues.
- Work with business partners and project management to aid creation of project plans, provide estimates and updates.
- Provide technical leadership to the team to foster a collaborative, positive and productive environment for developers to thrive.
- 8+ years software development experience
- 5+ years experience in one or more of the following languages: Java, Python
- 5+ years developing using web frameworks such as JAX-RS, Django and microservice frameworks like Spring and Flask. Familiarity with frontend (SPA) frameworks such as AngularJS/EmberJS and deep understanding of how client and server architectural decisions directly affect the user experience.
- 3+ years experience in managing software development teams in an Agile environment
- 2+ years experience in a software architect role
- Experience designing and developing message proxies and integrating data with 3rd party systems.
- Experience with building highly scalable, high transaction, consumer facing, web based platforms that are internationally compatible
- Experience with managing software projects using Atlassian tools such as Confluence & JIRA and Git VCS like Bitbucket or GitHub
- Bachelors or above degree in either Computer Science or Computer Engineering is preferred
- Familiarity with AWS based services
- Strong knowledge of relational and document-based databases
- Strong understanding of OOP, software life-cycle, source control and QA tools.
- Primarily code using Test Driven Development (TDD) in an Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery environment
- Strong knowledge of Linux and Command Line
- Experience with OTT Video Platforms such as Ooyala, thePlatform, Kaltura etc is a plus
- Knowledge designing REST APIs and writing API documentation via Swagger/RAML/API Blueprint
- Experience working with Apache, Nginx, Tomcat or other application servers
Excellent communication/collaboration skills and is comfortable working in a startup environment