SoundCloud is a next-generation music entertainment company powered by an ecosystem of artists, fans, and thriving communities on the pulse of what's new, now and next in culture. As one of the world’s most influential cultural platforms, SoundCloud holds a singular market position as both a music-streaming service with the largest catalogue of music, and an artist services and distribution business to help artists grow long-term, successful careers.
Discovery is at the core of SoundCloud’s strategy: We strive to be the #1 place to discover great new music and breaking artists. As a Director of Engineering for the Discovery group (Search, Recommendations), you will drive technical strategy and manage a team of engineers, scientists and analysts. Our Discovery teams are responsible for the architecture and development of key services such as personalised home feed ranking, personalised playlists generation, related music recommendations and artist stations, global and local music charts as well as search in our growing catalogue of 300+ million tracks.
With a strong, product-focused engineering and scientific background in this domain, you will make key technical recommendations and provide technical leadership through mentoring and pairing with engineers from diverse backgrounds. Additionally, you will be responsible for shaping your teams and recruiting in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Work closely with the product and design, teams to transform Discovery at SoundCloud.
- Broadcast the Discovery vision to inspire technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Drive short and long-term objectives and key results with full responsibility for executing the OKRs. Be a pragmatic voice showing where to invest engineering effort to drive business outcomes.
- Lead, support and mentor Engineering Managers to be more effective leaders.
- Recruit and retain top-notch engineers for your teams.
- Act as a technical liaison to and representative for other teams, groups, and the entire company.
- Keep in touch with industry trends and advances in technology and highlight opportunities that are applicable to SoundCloud.
Required skills and experience:
- Experience with managing managers.
- A strong engineering and data science background, knowledge and experience on search engine and machine learning systems, being able to evaluate complex technical decisions.
- Industry experience building data-driven products and implementing machine-learning solutions at scale.
- Extensive experience with and in-depth knowledge of agile methodologies.
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
- Recruiting and culturally-informed communication skills.
- We are a multinational company with offices in the US (New York and Los Angeles), Germany (Berlin), and the UK (London)
- We provide a flexible work culture that offers the opportunity to collaborate and connect in person at our offices as well as accommodating work from home
- We are deeply committed to ensuring diversity, equity and inclusion at all levels of our organization and fostering a community where everyone’s voice, perspective and experience is respected and heard
- We believe a strong team is made by investing in employees through mentorship, workshops and enrichment opportunities
- Interested in a gym membership, photography course or book? We have a Creativity and Wellness benefit!
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Professional development allowance
- Flexible vacation and public holiday policy where you can take up to 35 days of PTO annually
- Various snacks, goodies and 2 free lunches weekly at the office!
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Mission at SoundCloud
SoundCloud is for everyone. Diversity and open expression are fundamental to our organization; they help us lead what’s next in music by understanding and empowering our creators and fans, no matter their identity. We acknowledge the challenges in the music industry, and strive to influence an inclusive culture where everyone can contribute respectfully and thrive, especially the historically marginalized communities that many of our creators, fans and SoundClouders identify with.
We are dedicated to creating an inclusive environment at SoundCloud for everyone, regardless of gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, migration background, national origin, age, disability status, or care-giver status.