Director of Internal Tech Operations
Delivering one-of-a-kind cloud technology, accompanied by award winning customer service, Paylocity is a software development company in a category of its own. We are a publicly traded company that offers an Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP) which enables employees to share in the long-term growth and future success of the company.
Poised to revolutionize the world of human capital management for hundreds of thousands of small and medium sized businesses, we are seeking the best and the brightest to help us create the future of our solutions – enabling our customers to better develop their employees and supervisors. Our lean development process enables our small product oriented teams to innovate, collaborate and bring amazing features to market. Our talent anywhere philosophy nurtures a diverse and dynamic group of colleagues with a shared mission to make great products and have fun doing it.
The Director of Internal Tech Operations reports to the VP of Tech Delivery & Enablement and is a critical role in our Product and Technology organization. This highly visible member of the Technology Leadership Team has overall accountability for the end-to-end strategy and execution of our core technology operations and delivery group. This position requires a strategic leader committed to finding and delivering against our customers’ unmet needs. This role will enable a culture of innovation, and ownership across all of Product and Technology – ensuring the teams are entrepreneurial and self-sufficient, while still focused on a common vision.
Are you the teammate we are looking for?
Who you are:
• Collaborative, innovative and humble
• Committed to driving stability at scale and unflinching in your desire for production reliability
• Passionate technologist with the intellectual horsepower to see not just the particulars, but also the whole
• Influential leader who rallies multiple teams around the vision, and creates an atmosphere where teams are empowered to deliver
• Determined and willing to experiment and transform, embracing constant feedback loops
• A model for exhibiting grit and the entrepreneurial spirit
• Leader who is passionate about developing people by creating enabling and inclusive environments and identifying, mentoring and cultivating high potentials.
• Relentlessly curious about current market and technology trends, and influences product direction accordingly
• A superior communicator with an affinity for change management
How we work:
• Small, self-sufficient product-oriented teams with an entrepreneurial spirit organized into categories
• We don’t add more folks to our teams, we add additional teams to scale
• Casual, collaborative, agile environment which embraces and operates under our shared principles
• Complete transparency with open, honest discussions about our progress
• Close working relationship between all stakeholders and product teams
What we offer:
• Lean enabling process that focuses on putting our product teams in the best position to succeed
• A commitment to investing in our products, hiring the best talent, and giving them the chance to meaningfully contribute to a vast market opportunity
• A subscription to an Online Training forum for all technology colleagues
• Minimum 10 years work experience with technology company and a minimum experience of 5 years+ as a people manager
• Must have the technical experience to influence and understand at the deepest levels across many areas of IT such as System Administration, Network Engineering, Information Security and Infrastructure as a Service.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, preferred
• Demonstrated ability to influence and work collaboratively across a large organization
• Familiar with incident, problem, service, and change management processes
• Experience developing strategic plans and technology roadmaps
• Experience managing capital and operational budgets
• Able to effectively present information, gain feedback and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients and customers.
• Harmony, intensity and passion are necessary to blend with the rest of the management team.
• Compelling leadership style that includes extraordinary people, program management skills, business and technology expertise with a style that inspires and shows confidence.
• Ability to manage multiple relationships with internal and external resources and vendors
• Possess a blend of business to have a big-picture vision as well as the drive and attention to detail that transforms strategy into action
• Use to matrix environment where authority is shared with business and product leaders.
• Experience with Payroll, HR, Time & Attendance, Benefits, and Data Integration solutions, a plus (interest in developing and maintaining this expertise, an absolute must)
During the last three months, you would have:
• Led multiple teams focused on core infrastructure (network, storage, compute, etc), on-prem and cloud based hosting, SaaS environments, and internal systems.
• Helped us scale in a high transaction environment to meet the demands of our growing business.
• Ensured 24/7 monitoring and response to all incidents and outages.
• Identified, developed and articulated the appropriate tech & product missions; develop the overall product offering strategy and conceptual approach.
• Enabled a culture that furthered our stance on compliance and security standards Performed proactive capacity planning, reporting, diagnostics, and remediation.
• Led efforts to ensure backup, recover, and disaster functions meet our needs and are tested regularly.
• Achieved maximum system availability and optimal performance.
• Oversaw hardware and software licensing to ensure all equipment and software is licensed and inventoried.
• Acted as a sounding board for ideas and a center of excellence for all matters relating to current and future technologies.
• Developed a strategy to secure long-term platform stability and world-class architecture.
• Influenced the trajectory of product teams to enable them to deliver higher levels of stability.
• Secure and establish strategies around internal vs. external technology investments.
• Effectively maintain relationships with key partners, and use existing technology.
• Create a culture of accountability, quality, agility and high performance that will foster the attraction, development and retention of excellent product and technical talent.