Are you a hands-on researcher with a passion for data?
Do you thrive in environments that operate at scale?
Are you ready to help people go places?
We are looking for an experienced applied researcher and software engineer passionate about breaking new ground to improve Expedia's Lodging Platform. The Expedia Lodging Platform team is the business powerhouse for the Expedia group and contributes the largest share of our company’s revenue. The platform teams power two main lines of business, Lodging Shopping and Lodging Supply, and covers ten+ major Product areas. Our Lodging Platform operations are global, with representation in 8 countries and 17 offices. Our platforms are unique, supporting multiple Expedia Group brands - Brand Expedia Group; including Brand Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Wotif and ebookers; and our sister brands Hotels.com, Expedia Affiliate Network, trivago and most recently HomeAway.
What makes Lodging unique?
- Driving pricing computations supporting approximately 60 thousand requests per second (rps); arguably one of the top 10 search systems in the world
- Building a cutting edge geography system returning 7,500 rps enabling travelers to find the best locations to stay
- Continuously growing a vast inventory system supporting 50 million updates/day; with rooms, rates, dates and types
- Deep and broad content system enabling 10 million updates/day; which includes 38TB of images, alone
The focus of your job will be to use the data generated by the platform to build machine learning systems that improve its efficiency, resilience and performance to help us connect travelers with phenomenal places to stay.
You will work with data scientists, business leaders and technical directors and executives to collect information, craft proofs of concept and build and operate finished systems. You'll create systems that constantly improve our platform though real-time analysis of the data, you'll leave behind software engineers who have learned from your mentoring how to do the same.
If this sounds interesting, we'd love to hear from you.What you'll do
- You will design, develop, test and operate end-to-end software solutions using machine learning and related optimization and knowledge systems.
- You'll partner with business and product partners to identify new opportunities to apply machine learning techniques.
- Prototype creative solutions by developing minimum viable products to quickly prove or disprove team hypotheses.
- Write beautiful, clean, easy to understand code building our data pipelines to create labeled and unlabeled training sets as well as contribute to model training work.
- Resolve problems and roadblocks as they occur with peers. Follow through on details and drive issues to closure.
- Mentor junior team members. Act as a champion for simple designs and excellent code through design and code reviews.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a Science degree with significant math background.
- Experience and production work in machine learning.
- 3+ years experience working with data at scale.
- 6+ years of experience building systems in a distributed environment preferred.
- Experience with micro-services architecture, design patterns, and standard methodologies with an eye towards scale, automation, resiliency and high availability desired.
- Experience with cloud native architectures or with cloud migrations a bonus.