Backend Software Engineer
Philo is a small and ambitious San Francisco-based startup building the future of television. We're an underdog fighting for a seat at the table with the big cable providers. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about with intelligent search, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing. Our leadership consists of founding team members from Facebook and Meraki, and brings deep industry experience to the team. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including HBO, Discovery, AMC, A&E;, Scripps, and Viacom.
Backend Software Engineer
Necessity is the mother of invention
Philo was born in a Harvard dorm room, where cable TV wasn’t offered and the over-the-air broadcast couldn’t penetrate the walls of the 300-year-old brick residence halls. The founders of Philo wanted to watch TV around campus, so they wrapped their room in aluminum foil to boost the signal, and connected it to a server to stream it over the campus network.
We’ve moved from aluminum foil to silicon
Our technology may have changed, but our mission is the same. At Philo, we are building the TV experience we wanted for ourselves. Today, hundreds of thousands of students can use Philo to watch all the live and recorded television they love on all of their favorite devices, and that’s just the beginning.
Company and Culture
We’re a small team that puts our product experience first. We foster a flexible work environment that is supportive but allows for autonomy so that everyone on the team can help us build towards our vision. Philo engineers own what they build from start to finish. We ship to production multiple times per day and keep unnecessary process to a minimum so we can maintain our pace of rapid development. We value pragmatism, having pride in our work, and deep transparency at all levels.
Hack the Full Stack
Philo’s engineers hack up and down the technology stack. It’s not uncommon for a Philo engineer to go from backend coding to user experience design, from the video encoding pipeline to system scalability, from site maintenance to iOS/Android development.
We are actively hiring engineers who are looking to build a completely new kind of product and who have a passion for back-end or front-end development.
Philo’s infrastructure consists of 100s of machines within 50+ data-centers across the country, with new machines spinning up every week. Philo is harnessing petabyte storage and petaflop compute power in a highly distributed environment. Our systems ingest roughly 20Gb of video per second, then transcode, segment, and encrypt it to deliver live television to our users. Meanwhile, our DVR storage system writes millions of episodes to disk every day. We operate within the unpredictable world of remotely managed hardware hosted everywhere from world-class hosting facilities to utility closets with scarcely more ventilation than a nuclear submarine.
As a back-end engineer you will be responsible for:
- Brainstorm, design, implement, and roll out the next generation of Philo’s system to handle an order of magnitude more channels, users, and recordings. This is a greenfield project to build a highly scalable centralized live video delivery platform.
- Developing our video pipeline: building a highly available transcoding, segmentation, and video hosting and storage system.
- Automating system configuration: since we’re a tiny team, constantly shipping hardware, we have no choice but to heavily automate our infrastructure.
- Hacking on our monitoring and management system: our admins need to understand why the system is down and how to fix it. Do we need to dispatch a satellite tech? New hardware? Is there a power outage? We try to build symptom-based monitoring that provides enough information that non-technical account reps can diagnose problems.
- Finding cheaper, faster, better hardware solutions: our product is hardware based, so we’re always trying to reduce costs and improve our product.
We are language agnostic, but most of our codebase is written in Ruby, Golang, and Node, with C++ and Python sprinkled in. Our centralized infrastructure is built out using modern technology (Kubernetes, continuous deployment, advanced monitoring).
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
Philo is an equal-opportunity employer.