DIRECTOR, SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
TOGETHER WE MAKE THE BIG AMBITIONS OF TOMORROW HAPPEN TODAY
When you rely on airlines to connect you in flight, you rely on Thales. In an increasingly fast paced world, we make the unpredictable, predictable by connecting and entertain passengers to make your life better. Combining a diversity of talents, we master the decisive moments that matter to passengers and airlines. Whatever it takes.
We are currently looking for a Director of Systems Engineering to join Thales in Melbourne, FL. The Director of Systems Engineering is responsible for all Systems Engineering activities in the development of complex avionics for In-Flight TV and Connectivity Systems and Services. The Director of Systems Engineering sets and guides the course of the organization in terms of processes, tools, development, documentation, and implementation. The Systems Engineering organization consists of 50-60 System Experts and System Architects organized into a number of subteams.
The Director is responsible for defining and standardizing Systems Engineering methods, tools, and practices used by the entire organization, and is considered the Head of Systems Engineering Discipline (HoD). The Director of Systems Engineering manages subteam managers in the Systems Engineering Department and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit. The Director also directly supervises non-supervisory employees that are senior technology experts. The Director of Systems Engineering carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Coordinates Systems Engineering team activities to define, model, document, integrate, and lead all TV and Connectivity developments enabling the shipment of high quality reliable systems to the Airline customers and OEMs
- Maintains technical team System expertise in regards to all product lines related to TV and Connectivity systems, to include: Direct Broadcast Satellite TV, IP based TV, Satellite Connectivity (Ku, Ka, L, Air to Ground), Ground Connectivity infrastructure / networks, In-Cabin networks
- Ensures system specifications, system architectures, block diagrams, system ICD, and all relevant system documentation are released and updated for all products
- Managerial activities include: holding periodic staff meetings, staffing and allocation of proper skillsets and resources, mentoring of direct managers and emergent leaders, definition of training and professional growth
- Technical leadership activities include: participation in product definition and development (with PLM, DA, CTO), identification of risks and opportunities, escalation of critical issues and identification of required help, consolidation of lessons learned and capitalization
- Defines and leads the adoption of new practices (e.g., SAFe, MBSE, Feature Modelling, etc), processes, and tools to optimize System activities and efficiencies
- Defines the organization including team charter, culture, roles/responsibilities, engagement with other teams, resource allocations, requisite skillsets
- As Systems Head-of-Discipline, ensures the release, timely update and training of Systems Engineers to development standards (e.g., Chorus) and milestone reviews (e.g., SysKOR, SysERR, SysPDR, SysCDR)
- Ensures baselines are properly defined and coordinated across Product Lines and segments (TV-Connectivity-Ground Infrastructure) and budgeted and follow through the entire development cycle
- Reviews and approves product deviations and non-compliances, as applicable
- Capitalizes team lessons-learned, define and leads improvement plans
- Ensures that each LRU has a proper LRU-to-System FMEA Document allowing to maximize reliability and performance of the system
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and 10+ years experience in related field.
- 10+ years’ engineering experience working within a large scale technology development organization.
- 5+ years’ leadership experience leading and managing high performance engineering teams.
- 5+ years’ experience in design in the disciplines of Systems and Software
- Master's or equivalent advanced Engineering degree in discipline of Systems, Software, and Avionics is preferred
- 5+ years of requirement management tools (Doors, Jama, etc.)
Are you ready to be part a part of something big? If your skills, experience and attitude are a match and you’re looking for an exciting challenge, please apply now using the link below and we will be in touch.
Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 68,000 employees in 50 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now!Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled.